Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Espalier

Posted by westelle z9 Fresno, CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 14:17

We now have a 'lovely', aged wooden fence defining our back yard which is in full Central Valley sun all year long. I would like to esparlier a couple of trees against two sides of the fence as a backdrop for more interesting ground plantings. Does anyone have any advice as to which fruit trees might survive the intense summer sun without also burning the fruit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Espalier

Many fruit trees can be espaliered. When you trim the branches, you need to coat the trunk and branches that aren't shaded by leaves with white or light colored latex paint diluted 50/50 with water. That will protect the exposed branches from sunburn. Dave Wilson nursery has a good website with lots of info for the home gardener on how to grow fruit trees. I don't work for them, but I heard one of their speakers and have gotten a lot of information from them - no tree yet, still trying to choose one.

o

What about an informal espalier of citrus trees to take advantage of that heat? Figs?

o

Painting of trunks and limbs isn't quite the 'look' I'm after. Here I was more worried about the fruit getting burnt.

I hadn't thought about figs. I love Niegra and Honey Figs, neither of which want to be huge plants. Citrus would be good too.

I will check out the Dave Wilson website before I give up on my idea.

Thanks!

o

The Master Gardener group in Fresno is having a class on espalier coming up. You could probably get information from them, too. The mission of Master Gardeners is to give information to the home gardener. You can get the scoop from gardeners who live near you to find out what has been successful for them.

Painting the trunk and limbs is only necessary for new trees and branches that are not shaded by the canopy of the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fresno Master Gardeners

o

Thank you for the link. I've attended a number of their classes in the past. I'll check on this one.

o

Well, I checked on the class and it's only on pruning, something I do know how to do, so I guess I'll skip this one. If you hear of anything else please let me know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here