Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yaslan

Looking for Kazake or Salavatsky Pomegranates cuttings

yaslan
14 years ago

Hi, I am very interested in propagating Kazake or Salavatsky Pomegranates from cuttings. If anyone has either of these or a dwarf variety, I would love a few cuttings. I can pay for postage.

Thanks ~ Bo

Comments (13)

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

Bo:

I'm curious...

I did a Google search for the two cultivars of pomegranate you mentioned. But I found no commercial or academic references.

There were, however, about 20 sites that were amateur-oriented posts in various forums, many of them your posts.

Can you tell me the origins of these pomegranate cultivars and if they're commercially available anywhere in the US?

Thanks,
    Joe

• yaslan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Joe,

I just happened to come across these two varieties recently and don't know much about either of them. Have you done a search on gardenweb? Anyways, here's a website that do sell them. I think they'll be available in the spring.

http://www.treesofjoy.com/fruit.htm

Best of Luck on your search.

Bo

• ashleysf
    14 years ago

Several people on the GW Fruit and Orchard forum were posting about these varieties last year. You might have better luck on that forum.

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

Thanks Bo.

Trees of Joy was the ONE website I found that could even be considered close to commercial.

The site is very funky and I get the feeling it's not really a commercial operation, more a hobbyist.

I have yet to find any website that offers basic information, botanically, culturally or otherwise.

Joe

• yaslan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Joe,

I think the name of these varieties could be spelled wrong... (I'm not sure). There's a Russian hardy variety I found (it seems to match, I think...lol). This is the closest thing I've been able to uncover.. because much like you when I copy and pasted 'Kazake or Salavatsky Pomegranates' I was unable to recover any data that seemed viable. Maybe the links below will help. One Green World is not too far from where I live. I will have to make a visit soon. ( :

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

~Bo

One Green World Nursery

Edible Landscaping Online

• ashleysf
    14 years ago

here is an old GW thread where these cultivars are mentioned ...
    Bo,
    Someone on the fruit forum mentioned something about ordering cuttings of these types from UC Davis. I do not remember the details, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kazake and Salavatsky

• yaslan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Ashley,

The old thread was of great help. Thank you! I emailed UC Davis about their cuttings and how I might be able to acquire some.

Happy Gardening!

Bo

• ashleysf
    14 years ago

the spelling seems to be Salavatski and Kazake according to the National Clonal Germplasm Repository of the USDA under which program UC Davis supplies the cuttings and they seem to have the varieties that you want. You might even be able to order them online. Good luck and hope you succeed with these varieties in your zone.

PS: i am interested in rare varieties of pomegranates too and your post made me search my old bookmarked links :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Nat Germplasm Rep for pomegranates

• yaslan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Checkout the website below. You can request cuttings from different varieties of Punica granatum aka pomegranate or other fruits. You do have to tell them what you want them for. They're more inclined to accept your request if you tell them you're studying it's growth habits under lights or whatever it is you're studying or researching them for.

Search NPGS/GRIN Accessions

• eddiblair
    14 years ago

Hi, I have a pomegranate orchard in Texas and I am growing both of these varieties. I have a name of a guy here that I got my cuttings from if you are still interested. I have also gotten several different varieties from the National Clonal Germplasm.

• houfrz
    11 years ago

http://www.oakcreekorchard.com/
    is who I bought my Kazake a Salavatsky cutting from.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Creek Orchard

• milos7
    10 years ago

Anyone can ship salavatsky and kazake cuttings to Romania? I cannot find them in Europe. I can pay a reasonable price.
    Thanks,
    Milos.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

No, unfortunately we're not legally allowed to ship out uninspected plant materials outside of the USA, Milos.

Patty S.