Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
citrus hedge; want low-hanging fruit!

Posted by dancerdeb 23 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 22, 11 at 15:08

buying 3 orange trees (semi dwarf?) to serve dual purpose -
partial screening from sidewalk,street, and fruit to eat. How do we get the trees to branch low and full almost to the ground, like the commercial orchards in the Central Valley?

Our front yard is raised and smallish - already have a kumquat, dwarf lemon, and fig tree - all behind a wall of rose bushes, which discourages passersby. We'd be looking at these trees from a new front deck. Is it just a matter of pruning, or should we look for specific varieties? We want to keep them relatively short so they don't completely block out sun from the rest of the trees/plants, etc. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: citrus hedge; want low-hanging fruit!

Semi-dwarf citrus will naturally grow to 6 to 12 feet tall, depending on the type. All oranges, regardless of variety, will get about the same height with the same vigor.

NON-pruning is the key to having a "tree" with branches from the ground up (almost shrub-like). Simply allow the plant to fill in as it would naturally.

You can easily keep a semi-dwarf to about 6 feet by clipping off the top on a regular basis (2-3 times a year).

In the future, should you want more "hedging"/screening, oranges aren't the best for that. Kumquats, calamondins, and willow-leaf mandarin make nice, dense screens. And there are many other fruit trees/shrubs that do even better than citrus for this purpose.

Joe

o

Thanks Joe: I'll def look at the mandarins/calamondins too.
I'm sure everyone would be interested in the other fruit trees/shrubs for screening.

o

Look for the smallest plants offered. Many in the nurseries have already been pruned up. You will need to keep your low hanging branches from touching the ground or they become disease or pest highways into the trees. Al

o

If you go to any nurseries, you will find many hedge varieties easily.

However, why bother? I think the concept of citrus hedge is so fantastic! I have two Eureka and Meyer lemon trees in my yard and they too have formed very dense canopy. Another advantage of citrus is that blossoms are very fragrant. However, you will need to be careful of bees.

Good luck!

o

thank you all - have gotten a navel (hope we have enough heat on the coast in so cal) and a valencia; love the flowers, love the bees! Will also be trying container key lime indoors and on the patio....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here