Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minflick

Rain gauge - where to best site it?

minflick
11 years ago

I live in the redwoods in Boulder Creek, just outside Santa Cruz. I would like to get a rain gauge and put it up somewhere here - BUT - there are issues. There is a wood fence lining the property at the road, BUT there is a very large pine tree also at the fence. There is an even larger oak tree midway back on the property, just behind the house. Parallel with the oak is a small cluster of redwoods, on the south edge of our property, at least 4 storeys tall. A house has been built on the lot line, by our southern neighbors, and they have redwoods further back (more western) behind that building. I also have a fence line going roughly east-west out back, but it's bracketed between the oak and the neighbors redwoods. We have a small lot, I can't get very far from trees or buildings.

I was thinking the best place to put one would be on the front fence, as far from the pine tree as I can get it. Does this sound good? I know it's only going to be a rough measurement, but right now I'm measuring by (ooh, it filled the watering can) guess and by golly (wow, that box was empty and now it's FULL!) and I would enjoy having somewhat more accurate measurements!

Comments (4)