Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k9fan

Broccoli failure every year

k9fan
12 years ago

Broccoli -- the big heads you find in U.S. supermarkets -- is my favorite vegetable, but I have yet to grow it successfully. Each year, I plant outdoors and get seedlings, which then disappear, often leaf by leaf. I never see the bugs that I assume are eating them.

Should I start my broccoli indoors and only transplant when the seedlings are a significant size so they will have more of a fighting chance? Or what else can I do? I won't use pesticides.

I have the same problem with beets as with broccoli, while I have been successful with bell peppers, cabbage, and eggplant. Advice?

Also ... what variety of seed should I look for to get that big-head broccoli? And barring bug attacks, will I likely get a crop if I plant now, in mid-January? I'm on the San Francisco peninsula.

Comments (8)

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    12 years ago

Try a row cover, the disappearing broccoli is most likely from cabbage butterfly caterpillars... or snails.

You can start some broccoli seeds indoors now and plant out in late Feb. or early March for a late Spring Harvest.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

The other suspect might be birds, some of which love tiny seedlings. Broccoli sprouts are delicious.

I agree with chadinlg, try protecting them with some kind of physical barrier. Broccoli has been easy here, and it should be even better for you with your cooler climate.

• dicot
    12 years ago

I'd suggest using Bt, cabbage worms can be tough to see. I lost my cole crops every year until I controlled the aphids and cabbage loopers that are always around.

• k9fan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all. I guess it's physical barriers for me this year.

• fabaceae_native
    12 years ago

Flea beetles can also really decimate certain brassicas. In any case, I agree that physical barriers would be a good way to go.

In my cold winter area I direct seed around March and don't get a broccoli harvest until August-September. Add to that the flea beetle damage in the spring and the aphids in late summer, and I've begun to question whether the payback is really worth it. I've grown cauliflower, cabbage, and brussels sprouts as well as broccoli, which were all delicious but had the same pest problems and the long long wait to harvest. Now kale is probably the only cole crop I'll grow each year.

• rustico_2009
    12 years ago

Besides the other things mentioned, mice will mow a row of sproutlings down. While we can technically direct seed brassicas, there is probably too much pest pressure, at least until the rains start. I find that once the rains come pest pressure drops(bugs,birds,rodents, rabbits) but by that time it is too late to direct seed lots of stuff. Our seasonal droughts leave the critters desperate(at least where I live). Transplants are probably the way to go either way, or a little of each. It's always good to back things up so as to not lose an entire season.

• rustico_2009
    12 years ago

Oh yeah, pincher bugs can do serious damage too. It seems like there has to be lots of them and or a shortage of other food. They would be on the seedling munching by 10:00 at night. Not sure if they eat broccoli, I think seedling yes, but they will eat many vegetable plants. They will love living in the nooks and crannies of row cover where it tucks into the dirt.

• CathyCA SoCal
    12 years ago

I tried row covers this fall on napa cabbage. It probably did help prevent the cabbage worms but I was still getting a lot of damage. I went out at night and the slugs and earwigs were having a party under the row cover so I got rid of the cover. The heads did survive but I had huge investations of earwigs, had to throw away much of the outer leaves.