Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
surfcitysocal

Suggestions for small vine, ornamental grass

surfcitysocal
9 years ago

Heavy clay soil! Yes, I have it.

I used to amend, but as a local natives expert I've heard has said, it's like putting potted plants in the ground. Once the roots get beyond the amended portion, goodbye plant. Over the last few months, I've focused on putting in plants that specifically tolerate clay, and things are looking much better. I'm especially excited about a salvia I got from Las Pilitas called Dara's Choice. After we had all that rain recently, I groaned when I saw the plants sitting in a puddle for about a day before the water drained away--and they didn't die! They're coming along great. I can barely wait for them to do their thing.

But I digress.

I'm searching for a smallish vine to grow on a gate arch (so it can't be too huge) in the side front yard. I'd prefer for it to not look dead when it's dormant since it will be in the front. It doesn't have to flower, but I'd love if it attracted hummingbirds or offered some wildlife benefits (but not be thorny because people will pass through it). If it's native, great, and I'd prefer something not toxic or poisonous (in case people brush up against it). I tried Tree of Life's Antigonon leptopus (San Miguel Coral Vine) which grew and flowered well (and turned out to be evergreen in my zone 10b, Sunset zone 24), but I hated the Barbie pink color, so I yanked it. I'm not a fan of orange, either. White, soft pink or pale peach, red, magenta, blue, purple, yellow, would all work colorwise--anything but Barbie pink or orange. I've had a black eyed susan vine, but it would be too big for this location.

And believe it or not, Mexican feather grass won't grow in my crappy clay soil. Purple three awn won't either. I've had good success with other ornamental grasses, but I'm looking for something similar in size and featheriness to Mexican feather grass or purple three awn.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)