Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bahia_gw

Variegated accents for the garden

bahia
12 years ago

I am in love with this newish cultivar of the common Agave attenuata/Foxtail Agave, called 'Ray of Light'. I've already been growing the more available A. attenuata 'Kara's Stripes' for several years now, but when I saw a perfect crop full of 'Ray of Light' inside a Watsonville greenhouse, I just knew I had to have some. Anyone else already growing this newish introduction in their garden? Probably only safe to grow for those of us in USDA zone 9b/10a locations, as like all A. attenuata's, they are frost tender and can rot out with too much winter rains and not enough sun. On the other hand, they sure are beautiful...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ray of Light Foxtail Agave

Comments (2)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I like the look of this agave. It looks like it might be susceptible to fungus, though. It drives me nuts when the ends of the leaves get funky, because you can't clip then off.
    Renee

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

So pretty, David! I have just tons and tons of Agave attenuata planted all over my property. I want to add some Agave attenuata variegata as well as some other variegated aloes and agaves, especially down in my jungle area, to fill in around the existing regular Agave a. They are just doing so very well down there. I am so shocked. They get lots of good dappled sun in the summer, but are in mostly shade during the summer. I also have many in full sun. I notice that the distinct difference for those Agave a. in the sun versus the shade is the ones in the sun will pup. The ones in the shade, not so much. But, they are all doing very well. And, this is the lowest part of my yard, where all my water swales drain to. They're not in the path of the water, so they don't get wet feet, and they are in the driest parts of that lower yard. The ones in the front get just low volume drip, and are doing very well. Especially those next to the swale. I think they have adapted to getting the majority of their water during the winter, and making it through the summer on low drip and being next to some higher water areas (tiny patch of lawn for one large group for example). Very pretty. I just picked up an Aloe striata (Coral Aloe), and love it's delicate pink edging. And, I'm chancing it with two incredible Aloe polyphylla. I'm hoping we're just chilly enough that they will survive for me. I have them in the coldest part of my yard, in shade for summer and on a slope. With a drip above each of them. They are so cool, I couldn't resist.
    {{gwi:506742}}

I also found a small Aloe 'Moondance' or another white cultivar (was unlabelled at our SD Hort Society meeting) which is very cool. Very pale white. There's a new cultivar that's white, whose name is escaping me at the moment, so it could be that one.

Thanks for the photos, David. Making me want to head out to Oasis tomorrow, and look for some variegated Agaves :-)

Patty S.