Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bahia_gw

Pink Stripe Purple Heart

bahia
12 years ago

My photo of this plant in my own garden doesn't really do the plant full justice, as the "hotness" of the pink stripes is really almost neon, and more colorful in the warmer months. The base purple foliage color has faded a bit in this photo from the summer peak color. People may also know this plant as Setcreasia pallida versus Tradescantia pallida 'Pink Stripe', and there are also other larger leafed forms available mail order from growers such as Kartuz Greenhouses. In any case, for those who like outrageous color contrasts for container plants, this newish cultivar available from wholesalers such as San Marcos Growers and Monterey Bay Nurseries is one to look for, or request that your local retail nursery order some in. It does as well in full sun as dappled shade in my Berkeley garden, but is not nearly as vigorous in growth as the straight purple forms. As with all forms of this plant, it will look a little forlorn in the colder months, but perks back up with warmer weather again in the spring. Surprisingly or not, Setcreasea pallida will take desert heat and full hot sun; I've seen it used as large scale ground cover along with Agaves down in Cabo San Lucas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tradescantia pallida 'Pink Stripe'