Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah___

western redbud under a dense deciduous tree

sarah___
13 years ago

I planted a western redbud about three years ago in my south facing front yard. It not only hasn't noticeably grown, but it looses its leaves twice a year and then buds and flowers twice. I am wondering if this is do to the fact that it gets virtually no sun in the summer and a fair bit in the winter. Is there any thing I can do to make it grow? I have fertilized it a bit and give it water in the summer.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• mlevie
    13 years ago

Western redbud needs no summer water except in the very driest climates and as far as I know does not tolerate shade. Would it be possible to move it to a more appropriate site?

• queerbychoice
    13 years ago

I have a Western redbud in a fairly shady spot. Mine was a foot tall when I planted it in 2008; now it's five feet tall and just bloomed for the first time this past fall. (When it grows another three or four feet, it will start getting more sun.)

They don't typically bloom until they've been in the ground for a couple of years, so the fact that yours has been blooming repeatedly leads me to believe it was already fairly old when you planted it. This could be the reason that it hasn't grown noticeably. If it was rather large when transplanted, the transplant process may have damaged its root system significantly, so it may have needed to a few years for its roots to recover.

In the wild, Western redbuds often grow as understory trees beneath other, taller trees. They may look prettier if they receive at least partial sun, but I've definitely seen them surviving in dense shade in quite a few different locations.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I wish I could understand the variations in the growth pattern and blooming of the western redbud. At the old Saratoga Hort down in San Martin, by Gilroy we had a redbud that was only about 8 feet high, full, not gangling, that was absolutely stunning in bloom every year. It was in full sun, not shaded by anything. In Healdsburg the large city parking lot must have 20 redbud around and through it. The trees run the gamete from runted to gangling, and I never saw a good bloom on any of them. At our local museum here in Calistoga we have one in front in full sun with practically no bloom and and a very sparse growth although at least 20 years old. If there is a secret to good growth and dependable flowering I would like to know it. Al

• napapen
    13 years ago

One thing I would suggest about the lack of growth is the energy your tree is putting into producing leaves and flower twice a year. I just got one at a native plant sale and from what i have read, it belongs in sun.

Penny

• johnpatty78_gmail_com
    13 years ago

We live in an foothill oak area with lots of very mature oaks, Buckeyes and Redbuds. I think the Redbuds were planted a long time ago because they are now in full shade, are quite leggy and don't bloom as well as I wished.
    There is one in particular that is about 8 feet tall that I would like to move into a sunnier spot. How big of a root ball should we expect to find? In other words, how far out from the tree should we dig to do the least amount of damage to its root system?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Patty the usual routine for the job you have in mind is to decide how big a root ball you can handle and then this year, like now, insert a transplant spade strait down all around the tree at that point. This will sever the roots without loosening the tree in the ground. The tree will respond by growing new feeder roots within the restricted root ball. In the next dormant season you can finish digging the tree and you will have less stress to the tree when you move it. A transplant spade will go down about 18 inches and will sever 90% of the roots. If you have heavy clay soil the job will be that much more difficult, but doable. Al