Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery

Posted by chuckmason SoCal (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 19:11

What is this?
It's in my vegetable garden box.
The base is now about 1" in diameter.
Mar Vista (west L.A.) about 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery

And here's a close-up.
It is about 4 months old +-.

o

That is Lambs Quarters or Goosefoot. He's a non-native weed.

o

I wonder how the seed got into my new box. But.......there was compost involved.
Still, just another mystery.
Is that plant edible? Or merely a weed?

o

Lambs Quarters probably came to California from Europe with the first boatload of cattle sometime around 1769. The leaves are edible & eaten as greens in some parts of the world. As far as weeds go, they aren't too obnoxious. Birds eat & distribute the seeds so maybe thats how he got into your box. He'll be good biomass to cycle back into your compost when he kicks the bucket or you decide to yank him.

o

Wifey is German, so we can re-enact WWII Koln and eat this thing every which way. I tried a bit, and it was not great, not bad.
Simmer it for about 5 hours w/ a little (lot) pig fat; mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Or I can yank it and NOT put it in the compost b/c it's covered w/ seeds.

Thanks.

o

You might want to cover the whole thing with a paper bag - or something - or the seeds will all be right back in your garden.... and all along the way to the bin. I wouldn't compost it.

o

If you are a hot composter only tomato & squash seeds are an issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here