Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Nicotiana sylvestris: from weed to WOW!

jenn
12 years ago

In spring 2011 I noticed a tiny seedling that I thought was a weed. It didn't look like any weed I've seen in our yard, so I left it alone, and waited...

In July it looked like this (for scale, that's a Daylily at the bottom). It looked vaguely familiar. I wondered if it might be a seedling of Nicotiana sylvestris which I grew 10+ years earlier(!!)...

{{gwi:507431}}

...and then, by September, the "weed" turned to WOW!

{{gwi:507432}}

I pruned it in October and it's blooming again now (looks just like the second photo above).

Knowing its mature size, I would not have planted Nicotiana sylvestris here, but this is where the seed landed, germinated, and grew --- and I don't think I could have chosen a better spot! Other than deadheading (and brushing the dust-size seeds off my clothes and skin) the only maintenance required is periodically removing some of the lower leaves that block sunlight from the surrounding plants.

Coincidentally, two spontaneous seedlings of Geranium 'Silver Sugar Plum' also showed up last spring, from the seeds of a plant I grew 10+ years earlier.

These are just two examples of the many rewards of gardening.

Comments (8)

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

I think the surprises are the best part of gardening, I welcome all volunteer seedlings...lol. I have nicotiana sylvestris popping up here and there also right now.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    12 years ago

Does it smell as lovely as the other nicotianas?

Carla in Sac

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Wow, Jenn, that is really spectacular! I have some Nasturtiums that have popped back up after 2 years of living in our new home. I know Nasturtiums aren't the most exciting flower, but one of them is a very interesting color, nearly black it is so dark red. So, I've let them intertwine through my Salvia nemorosa 'East Friesland' and my Julia Child roses. I even had some cherry tomatoes "appear" in my lower garden last year to everyone's surprise (they were delicious, too!) Love those surprises, but boy, after 10 years, that's really something!

Patty S.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I have tried and tried to get that to germinate. I'm going to try again, dang it. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Renee

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carla: Yes, it has a nice scent. I haven't noticed it wafting from many feet away though. Scent or not, the white blooms really show up at night with just a little ambient light.

Patty: We've had some tomatoes pop up in some interesting places! And Nasturtiums too! Not always in the best spots, but it's fun to wait and see what they turn into.

Renee: Hope you have lots of patience. :-) I don't remember how successful I was with the first seeds (10+ years ago). Hmmmm... maybe this one grew from one of those first seeds I planted, NOT from the first plant that grew from them! The seeds are very tiny, like dust... it's hard to see them in the soil.

I'm planning to cut off some leaves and use them to make stepping stones.

• bahia
    12 years ago

Nicotiana sylvestris is a great one for the garden, I use it a lot in designs. Fragrance is most vivid in the evening, and I have this pop up in unexpected places in my garden as well. It tends to be a short lived perennial where it doesn't get frozen in winter. Annie's Annuals has this if you can't find it locally, available mail order, but from seed it should be as easy as any other Nicotiana species/hybrid.

• iris_9
    12 years ago

Hi jenn, I'm iris_9 from the post "mystery plant" about my nicotiana sylvestris. I just answered your question about how to make the concrete leaf castings on that post. Have fun!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

I've seen N.glauca, it grows naturalized by Niles creek..with all the other vegetaion like climbing native cucumber,it looked jungly.