Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

California's early spring.

When we get to 70 in late January this far north,its a treat. Warmer tomorrow.
I bought potting soils,weeded. I can feel (as in my bones) that its not too soon to repot most plants.
BUT! warm=dry.
Always a catch.

Comments (17)

• MrsLizzy K
    9 years ago

Yup. I'm rushing my winter pruning because things may break dormancy soon. Some self-seeded sunflowers here are already as tall as I am--guess we could start planting for spring! But I still hold out some hope for more rain, and chill hours for my fruit trees.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

This weather change is so early, it may turn out to be the false spring. Al

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    9 years ago

70's are done for now..but we are not going to see lows in the 30's ..days are too long for one thing and its been just too sunny and dry,plus when it does rain that guarantee's warmer nights.

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

Our nights are cold.... for us. In the 40s isn't bad, but in the 30s is still cold. I haven't seen buds popping yet. And, we're still in January Gloom with plenty of Fog.

But you are right, I need to get out there and clean. Suddenly it will be February and all will suddenly change.

• Chris
    9 years ago

Just put a little tomato in my raised bed yesterday. Not entirely confident it'll make it... but the night temperatures have been bottoming pretty reliably at about 45 where I am. It was starting to outgrow the little pot I had it in so I gave it a shot.

• elvie z9CA
    9 years ago

I moved all my frost and rot susceptible agaves and succulents back into the open. Still hoping for a wet spring, though.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yeah,I'm wishing for another December of rains. That would be perfect.
    Chris,try covering those T plants. I think they sell some kind of translucent cone thingy's that act as mini greenhouses.

Or,make your own with liter plastic soda bottles with the bottom cut off.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

That December rain was great, but what we really need is snow in the mountains and tons of it. Not a great chance of that with this warming trend. Even if we get a good wet spring, if it doesn't snow in the mountains at the same time, we'll still be in big trouble this summer. Mountain snow=summer irrigation supply

• Chris
    9 years ago

Stan - I have some garden cloth stuff that I bought on Amazon. It's white, pretty lightweight, and lets light through but seemed to do a decent job keeping the frost off when I used it on some broccoli seedlings a few weeks ago.

If it looks like some seriously cold weather is coming I'll try your soda bottle idea.

Lows in the next 2 weeks appear to be in the 45-50 range. Tomatoes can survive those temps, right?

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    9 years ago

I agree with Barbjp, Let the Sierras have it all...meaning snow. I will sacrifice no rain if they get snow. The Yosemite webcams look nothing like years past. The high sierra cam normally by this time a few years ago was froze up and buried in snow.
    The south bay area I am told got 1-2 inches while I got just sprinkles. I usually get frost about 10 times each winter, its been 3 so far and one morning was down to 24 degrees and did some damage. Robins are here and that's normal.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    9 years ago

The birds around me sound like they are singing spring songs! I'm not sure what to prune back and what to leave alone- some shrubs are budding along last year's scraggily old tired branches. Advice?
    Min

• Chris
    9 years ago

I'm seeing a lot of blossoms on trees in Concord and Walnut Creek (east bay).

Looks like spring is upon us.

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    9 years ago

Any thoughts on putting out the chili plants I overwintered in my garage? I also asked on the hot pepper forum.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well,last weeks warmest ever day in January in my hometown? Broken this weekend. Near 80f. Im not sure what the final number it will be,but its going to be more then the 74f that was the previously warmest January day ever.

A record that had stood for 25 years or so, broken in back to back weekends.

This is the year to plant Tomatoes, Corn, and Giant pumpkins early. Its going to be a long growing season.

• Chris
    9 years ago

My next tomato is going in the ground tomorrow morning!

• LexieDi
    9 years ago

Warm warm warm days, pretty chilly nights here. However, whenever I water, it seems to rain a bit the next day! Boo!

• Humsi
    9 years ago

I already have several volunteer tomatoes over a foot tall. Wishing I had started the tomatoes I wanted a little earlier this year.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?