Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquilachrysaetos

Redwood trees in inland so cal

aquilachrysaetos
13 years ago

I know I've seen coast redwood doing well in my area where it can get scorching hot in summer. There's a neighborhood a few miles away where they are street trees. Graver Olive House in Ontario has a pretty little grove.

How are they on water? Any worse than sycamores or plane trees?

How do Giant Sequoia or Dawn Redwood compare?

Comments (6)

• applenut_gw
    13 years ago

They grow here but will never get 300' tall. We have them at some high schools where they only get water from the grass irrigation.

I have a Giant Sequoia that is perfectly happy in our climate, and nothing bothers it. I have it on a couple of drip heads, and it is about 6' tall now and beautiful.

Applenut

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I have two Coast Redwoods in my Simi Valley garden. They want MUCH more water than they get from lawn water. They always look like they're pinin' for the fiords, with a lot of dead brown needles collecting on the branches and raining down on the lawn. They were gifts- I sure wish they were Sequoias. Those appear to stay much greener here.

If I gave them more water they might do better. I have also considered running pvc up the back of their trunks with a sprinkler up top to give them "rain". I do not recommend them.

Renee

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

On my six acres I have several groves that are all located in the bottom of canyons where winter water makes small streams that stop when the rain stops. These are native coast redwood which are second growth growing around a hole where the original was lumbered a hundred years ago. They are all around a hundred feet or so. Al

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

They grow here, but will never be as big and beautiful as where they can soak up coastal fog. Too hot and too dry, they decline and die.

Why not a California native Oak? They belong here and are as "California" as redwoods...

• aquilachrysaetos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think oak root fungus is present on my property otherwise I would go with Canyon Live Oak.

There are very good looking and healthy redwoods in my area but on second thoughts they take more water than everything else I've planted.

I have planted an Italian Stone Pine because they are perfectly suited to my climate and once they get large enough they can get by on their own. They are common in my town and I see them looking healthy on ground that grass has died on for want of water.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

We have lots of Quercus agrifolia and Quercus kelloggii here and also oak root fungus. We lose a few of the black oaks from the fungus in the woods every year. The trees are old when lost and have been infected for several years before the tree falls with badly compromised roots. The live oaks are mostly in full sun locations and so far I have not found one suffering from the oak root fungus, mostly I think because of their dryer locations. Al