Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with Coleus over winter?

Posted by pfckce z10 - S CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 24, 12 at 20:50

Hello, I have a few different kinds of Coleus that grew pretty large and looked amazing last summer and fall. Right now they don't look so great and a couple of them have some large whitish spots that look like mold or fungus. I know how to propagate them, but my question is, should I get rid of the main plants or just prune them really short/small? Can they grow back this spring?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with Coleus over winter?

Coleus are annuals. Even if they winter over, they won't be at their best for a second year. I would suggest taking cuttings of your favorites, and planting them back out when the weather warms.

Kay

o

If you decide to take cuttings for next year, use the newest part of the plant, and discard the rest. Because it is a struggle to end up with a good plant, most of us will start new seeds, which are cheap and easy, and fast to grow. Al

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 25, 12 at 15:01

if you have a greenhouse you can take cuttings and overwinter them. Even in 24 they don't like the cooler nights. They want to be warm over night 60F +

o

I took cuttings of my coleus, 'Henna,' the first part of Dec. just before our first frost and kept them in my laundry room. They rooted and are now potted up just waiting for some warm weather so they can go live outside. I just composted the main plant last week. It was outside in a protected area but it wasn't going to come back. And I needed the pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here