Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
survival for uprooted plants,several days

Posted by dancerdeb 22 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 28, 10 at 21:20

i have to dig up plants that have been established for 3 years so a drain can be dug alongside the house - fried egg plant, (Mat poppy), myrtle, sweet olive, maybe natal plum. I'm worried about them - should i just plunk them into the big pots I have with a little garden soil, then put them back when it's finished? Will take 2 - 4 days. Can they survive some root loss? should I give them anything when they go back into the ground?
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: survival for uprooted plants,several days

Have the pots ready to go. Dig up the plants with as much rootball as you can manage. Plunk them into the big pots, fill the pots solidly with native soil and water them WELL. Move the potted plants to a shady site. Water them again in a couple of days.

Watch for signs of wilting. If they begin to wilt, prune off whole branches (don't just arbitrarily snip off the tops) and water.

When the ground is ready again, slip them back into their places. No need for anything special except water.

Don't "amend", don't fertilize. And B1 doesn't work.

Mulch well.
Joe

o

Protect the foliage from wind. Spray foliage with a fine mist to prevent wilting.

o

This time of year with almost 100% humidity(at least for the last two weeks)you should be safe. I usually use "heeling" in as my strategy for such a project. The main consideration is not allowing the roots to be exposed to the air, and the plant should not be in any possible sunshine through the whole process. I also would not recommend any soil additives. Al

o

Appreciate your help. Their prospects look good with more rain on the way!

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 30, 10 at 18:48

I have to disagree about the ease of transplanting/disturbing Matilija poppies (Romneya coulteri). They tend to resent it and can easily die from it.

o

As Joe mentioned, "dig the biggest rootball you can manage" Romneya coulteri should never be bare rooted. To keep the soil with the roots be sure the soil has plenty of moisture, should be no problem now. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here