Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meesterlolli

Patio Shade Tree-Los Angeles

meesterlolli
15 years ago

I recently installed a bluestone patio with a 7'x12' planter for a tree that should provide shade. I am looking for a mature tree that can be transplanted. I am concerned about root invasion as well as trees that might stain the bluestone by droping too much fruit, berries, etc. I am predisposed the multi-trunk trees. I like mature Olive trees, but I'm concerned about the fruit? I also like California Pepper trees, but I hear the roots could be problematic. What about a Cajeput tree? Tree should be at least 10'-15', but should not grow higher than 25'. Any other thoughts on a tree that can be transplanted (with a crane if necessary)and will provide shade. Also where can I possibly find one? I live in Los Angeles and need to find one asap. I would love suggestions.

Comments (8)

• dirtrich1
    15 years ago

How about albizia? Many people refer to them as mimosa. I understand they are fairly popular down your way. They have those pink fluffy pom-pom type flowers on them. I have one in my back patio and I really like it. The flowers have a very nice, spicy perfume as well. Or perhaps a Jacaranda? They are SUCH a beautiful tree (in my opinion) with their bluish/purple flowers, they also come with white flowers if you prefer. They will, in all likelihood, grow to be taller than 25 ft. if the cultural environment suits them, but you can always have it pruned. I'm sure there are tree-transplanters listed in your phone book down there, but I would also recommend having a look at "thebluebook.com" (if you don't have a print version available.)

• wanda
    15 years ago

There is a fruitless olive called 'Swan Hill' if you can find one.

Crape Myrtles are an ideal choice for a patio tree, but they are deciduous and it sounds like you're looking for an evergreen.

• ltecato
    15 years ago

How about a ficus or shefflera? Both do pretty well in containers, indoors or our. If they get too big you can plant them in the ground. Have you rulled out palms?

• meesterlolli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am still predisposed to an Olive tree. Where can I buy a mature fruitless Olive Tree like a Majestic Beauty or Swan Hill? It should be approximately 12 to 18 feet. Alternatively, I hear their is a spray that will control the olive growth? Does anyone know anything about this?

• sautesmom Sacramento
    15 years ago

You do realize that a tree that size is going to be VERY expensive, and even then might not survive? Trees do better if they grow where they are going to live, and transplanting a mature tree will be very stressful on the tree.

Carla in Sac

• wanda
    15 years ago

There is a product that will inhibit fruiting.

Here is a link that might be useful: florel growth inhibitor

• piper101
    15 years ago

Do not do any Ficus,,very invasive roots. I too am very partial to multi-trunked trees. I've got 2 carrot woods that are really pretty. If you get a big enough one to start believe me, it will provide shade. For example, my next door neighbor has a single trunked carrot wood and every year she has to have it trimmed, of course it's probably 20 yrs old, but it provides shade onto my yard. There are mature multi-Trk carrot woods down this main thorough fare in my city and that look is what convinced me to choose them. No droppings of any kind as well. Your local nursery should be able to order you or hook you up with a tree grower to give you size options.