Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gobluedjm

Is it really spring?

gobluedjm 9/18 CA
13 years ago

What do you guys/gals think! I know technically its March 20 for spring. I have more frost damage that last year and now its much warmer than normal for the coldest month of the year. I usually do my late winter pruning in late Feb. But if these 70+ temps stay around I'm gonna be doing it sooner.

I have ceanothus flowering, freesias budding and a few other things also showing signs of waking up.

What is early in your garden?

Comments (17)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Yup, same here down in Vista (N. San Diego County near the ocean). I've already done some of my pruning (roses), and will be tackling the rest this weekend. Definitely time to prune. And, I'm going to do an early fertilizing with low nitrogen fertilizers, especially my citrus trees which are already pushing out their first flush. Crazy weather we're having!

Patty S.

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

Loving the sun! But worried that the cold, wet weather is not over!

• dicot
    13 years ago

Yeah, I almost started this same thread 3 days ago, because it sure feels like Spring to me. But didn't it get very warm last January, then cool?

• kristincarol
    13 years ago

Multiple false springs are possible here where I live (far Northwest coastal CA) so I have learned not to go hog wild during these brief spells of pleasant weather. On Wednesday it was 74 here, 65 yesterday and forecast calls for it to reach 57 today, but we could have several day incidences of freezing weather three or four more times until our last frost date of 5/15.

That said, my garlic is up and going great guns (no Palin reference intended here) and it will soon be time for me to throw some fertilizer on them.

• deep___roots
    13 years ago

No, but you can prune some things like fruit trees, roses, japanese maples.
    It is very foggy here in the Bay Area this morning. Spooky.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

No chance this year for frost in the bay area,but thats not the same as real spring-we all know temps rollercoaster between chilly to warm this time to maybe May. Here,good for temperate tree pruning,subtropical things might be too early.
    But,longer days and no frost would sound like spring to the northerners back east.

• Brenda K Spevak
    13 years ago

It sure feels like spring to me, but I know we'll get more ups and downs. My citrus trees are displaying a nice first flush, some asparagus I thought had died out has put up new ferns, and the raspberries look like they're thinking of popping out new leaves any day now. For that matter, my pepper and eggplant transplants from last summer are still producing away too.

I have been wondering whether to go ahead and feed everyone, or try to get them to stay dormant until a little later in the year. Thoughts?

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Don't feed. You know what will happen if you do- we'll get a deep freeze in Feb. or March and all of your beautiful new growth will be kaput. It's just like washing your car- the next day it will rain.

I'm a bit gloomy about all of this sunshine- we have had Januaries like this before, then we get a freeze in April!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Fortunately for me by the coast in N. San Diego county, I won't have to worry about a freeze. I ended up having to prune my roses and hibiscus due to fungal activity from the very heavy rains we had last month. So, pruning about a month earlier than I would normally do, but I almost have to. Plus, my roses were already starting to send out new growth, anyway. Same with my citrus and hibiscus. Everything is about 4 weeks ahead of schedule. So, I'm going to prune now. But, I'll wait until next month to fertilize. Crazy weather yet again. Hoping for a wee bit more rain, too. We still need to get at least an inch more before spring comes around.

Patty S.

• dicot
    13 years ago

I know what you are saying, Renee, but I'm gambling on climate change and warm ocean currents and pulling off all my tangerines and starting to add N again right now. I may have to pull down the Christmas lights, but I don't think so, I'm guessing we don't go below 45 again here in Torrance. I've been getting incredible yields, but both trees struggle with chlorosis and I can't short them on N or Fe. I need to spray for aphids & whitefy too and I'd rather do that with the fruit off, even if it's just garden soap.

In Dec, I thought I'd never have to water again, but I'm pulling the hose out today for sunny spots too. Yay, never boring 12 month yard! Next up, way too many bugs & weeds.

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

We've had pretty consistent 40s at night and 50s in the day.... a little cool for Fresno area. The pruning was done 2 weeks ago and I'm glad it's done, but am holding off on the fertilizing.... even tho' the citrus appear to need it.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I awoke last night to a very heavy rain on the roof. I would not be surprised with a overnight temperature of 25 degrees as soon as this front passes. I try not to be fooled into defying the calendar by a few warm days. My cherries are not in bloom yet and they often get frosted when blooming. Al

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Getting a few sprinkles today so I'm glad mother nature hasn't let winter go yet. She sure has a few plants fooled around here.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

We envy those of you on the coast. Those of us in the Valleys are subject to more ups and downs, and we have to be careful. I wish I lived in San Diego!

• wanda
    13 years ago

Sure felt like spring.....until it cooled way down and rained yesterday. That said, I've got all kinds of things popping early. I usually don't prune my Clematis until mid-late February, but I did it early cause they were budding (leaves, not flowers), but I'm definitely holding out on the fertilizer until regular time. I just hope we don't get zapped. I seriously doubt it, but you just never know.....

• dicot
    13 years ago

well, it could be worse.

{{gwi:508843}}

• Laurel Zito
    13 years ago

My Camilla is now beginning to bloom, and it's really late this year. I don't know, I wish I could find out if it will be warm, that would be great for me. The bulbs are kind of off to a late start. I think it did not get cold enough to begin with, then it got warmer, but now the nights are cold. I can see some black cold damage on the coral bells.