Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best vine or shrub to cover chain link fence in central cali

Posted by mgc700 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 1, 11 at 23:25

I live in central California and was wondering if anyone knows of a low maintenance, nice looking vine or shrub to completely cover my 8ft chain link fence around a one acre yard? I live in the 95341 area.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best vine or shrub to cover chain link fence in central cali

How wide and deep can it be? If you can sacrifice ten feet, you have lots of great choices of reasonably priced, maintenance-free drought tolerant and flowering shrubs. The farther into your yard the plant can jut the fewer plants you will need to buy.

If you want something that grows no more than three feet into your yard you will have to spend a lot of money and your choices will be quite limited, and the maintenance may be high.

The only evergreen vine I would recommend is trachelospermum jasminoides (sp?) or star jasmine, but it can get burned in full sun and it can freeze. I have Algerian ivy, and I do not recommend it to anyone who wants a life beyond trimming ivy.

My dad is currently planting Iceberg roses against his five foot tall chain link fence, and he will plant nandinas on the other side. Expensive, but low-maintenance and pretty. He only has 60 feet to cover.

Renee

o
RE: best vine or shrub to cover chain link fence in central cali

I'm with Renee, I think bushes would be nice and there are lots of choices. I have a 30' Plumbago bush hedge, it's nice to have the blue flowers. You could use several types, maybe some Oleander?, that would be nice.
A quick fix for the fence would be jasmine, but be aware it is really fragrant and can be allergenic. As much as I love it my sister is allergic to it.
Sounds like a big project, good luck!
Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here