Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Socal winter...again

Posted by gobluedjm 9/18 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 0:14

Mother nature isn't done yet folks, this is from NWS...sorry its in caps...I'm not yelling ;)
I had half inch on Jan 2 this year so I expect more this time.

THE INITIAL COLD FRONT WILL BRING ABOUT 3 TO 5 HOURS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY RAIN AND MOUNTAIN SNOW TO SAN LUIS OBISPO AND SANTA BARBARA COUNTIES ON FRIDAY...SPREADING INTO VENTURA AND LOS ANGELES COUNTIES LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON INTO FRIDAY NIGHT. BEHIND THE COLD FRONT...
A VERY COLD AND UNSTABLE AIR MASS WILL CONTINUE TO BRING A THREAT OF SHOWERS AND A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS INTO SATURDAY. SOME OF THESE POST-FRONTAL STORMS COULD BRING BRIEF HEAVY DOWNPOURS...
HAIL...GUSTY WINDS...AND WATERSPOUTS. PRELIMINARY RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE GENERALLY EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM ONE HALF TO ONE INCH ACROSS THE COASTAL AND VALLEY AREAS...WITH ONE TO TWO INCHES POSSIBLE IN THE FOOTHILLS AND LOWER MOUNTAIN ELEVATIONS.
THE MAIN IMPACTS OF THIS UPCOMING STORM SYSTEM WILL BE THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION AND STRONG WINDS IN THE MOUNTAINS...AS WELL AS THE POTENTIAL FOR VERY LOW SNOW LEVELS BEHIND THE FRONT. THE MAJORITY OF THE SNOWFALL IN THE MOUNTAINS IS EXPECTED
TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE COLD FRONT...WHEN SNOW LEVELS ARE GENERALLY EXPECTED TO BE AROUND 4000 FEET. BEHIND THE COLD FRONT...SNOW LEVELS WILL FALL RAPIDLY...AS LOW AS 500 FEET NORTH OF POINT CONCEPTION...AND 1000 FEET SOUTH OF POINT CONCEPTION. PRELIMINARY SNOW ESTIMATES WITH THIS UPCOMING STORM SYSTEM ARE 1 TO 2 FEET ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS ABOVE 4000 FEET...WITH LESSER ACCUMULATIONS
BELOW 4000 FEET. LATE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY...LIGHTER SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE ANTELOPE VALLEY FLOOR...SANTA MONICA MOUNTAINS...AND SANTA CLARITA VALLEY. IN
ADDITION...MANY FOOTHILL AND HIGHER VALLEY LOCATIONS WILL BE AT RISK FOR LIGHT SNOWFALL...ESPECIALLY THOSE COMMUNITIES NEAR THE MOUNTAINS.

IN ADDITION...STRONG SOUTHWEST WINDS GUSTING OVER 50 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THE FRONT...POTENTIALLY CREATING BRIEF WHITEOUT CONDITIONS. AS WE DRAW CLOSER TO THE EVENT...A WINTER STORM WATCH WILL LIKELY BE POSTED FOR ALL OF THE MOUNTAINS AND POSSIBLY THE ANTELOPE VALLEY...WHILE OTHER LOWER ELEVATION LOCATIONS MAY REQUIRE
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES.

SNOW AND ICY CONDITIONS WILL LIKELY IMPACT MANY OF OUR MAJOR MOUNTAIN ROADWAYS...INCLUDING INTERSTATE 5 FROM THE GRAPEVINE TO SANTA CLARITA...AS WELL AS HIGHWAY 14 FROM SANTA CLARITA VALLEY TO THE ANTELOPE VALLEY...INCLUDING THE SOLEDAD CANYON. DUE TO THE UNUSUALLY
LOW SNOW LEVELS EXPECTED...SOME OF THE LOWER ELEVATION ROADWAYS THAT ARE ESPECIALLY AT RISK FOR SNOW INCLUDE HIGHWAY 101 (ESPECIALLY NEAR CUESTA PASS)...HIGHWAY 154...HIGHWAYS 41 AND 46 IN SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY...AS WELL AS HIGHWAYS 126 AND 118 IN VENTURA COUNTY.

THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRING SOME OF THE LOWEST SNOW LEVELS WE HAVE SEEN IN RECENT TIMES. WITH SUCH LOW SNOW LEVELS POSSIBLE...THIS UPCOMING STORM SYSTEM COULD BE DEADLY FOR UNPREPARED MOTORISTS...CAMPERS OR HIKERS. ANYONE PLANNING TO TRAVEL INTO THE MOUNTAINS ON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR WINTER STORM CONDITIONS WITH VERY COLD TEMPERATURES. REMEMBER TO ALWAYS CARRY AN
EMERGENCY KIT IN YOUR CAR IN CASE YOU ENCOUNTER HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. STAY TUNED FOR THE LATEST NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORECASTS AND STATEMENTS AS THIS UNUSUALLY COLD WINTER STORM APPROACHES THE SOUTHLAND.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Socal winter...again

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 12:34

No time to talk...I'm out digging out the row cover fabric and searching for my old down parka......

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 14:16

I'll take any rain I can get. All the petite succulents can go into the garage for a night or two.

o

I just hardened off my first set of tomatoes. They are ready to plant, but it seems prudent to wait until Monday in case it does actually snow in LA.

o

Greetings--I'm a gardener in Massachusetts, but I've been lurking here recently as my son is now living in Encino and asking gardening questions! Based on when we sow seeds here--carrots, lettuce, peas, kale, spinach etc. can be sown here about 4-6 wkd before the last frost date, so would probably be okay during your cold spell now, unless you're way up in the mountains. I've had narcissus covered in snow emerge unharmed, after all! Tomatoes, peppers, beans, corn don't get sown or set out till about Memorial Day, 1-2 wks after last usual frost date, unless you have special
covers or "wall-o-water" things. Hardening off tomatoes in February--wow, that seems incredible:). Stay warm, everybody.
Betsy

o

Our winters have been warm lately, Encino's last frost date was probably 2008 or so. Everything you mentioned initially can be germinated in Nov and grown all winter, or begun now and grown until June or so. Warmer plants can be started indoors with lights, but I've never bothered to invest in that here as 12 month garden is enough work in itself, but a good heat mat can help even SoCal tomatoes and peppers get going when our Spring nights are still cool.

This storm was slow to form and it was quite nice before the front really rolled in, but it sure is coming down now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here