Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oriental Poppies

Posted by mysticfoxtrot North CA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 1:00

I live in USDA Zone 14 (Sacramento). Why is it that I don't see Oriental poppies in people's gardens (or in the stores?) I see Iceland and California but not Oriental? I've seen them in other places and they were magnificient. I was going to guess it is too hot here, but was hoping for someone who wasn't guessing :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oriental Poppies

Insufficient winter chilling. I believe it is possible to grow them in some areas but they are not reliable and short lived. (actually in a lot of cases I found them to be unreliable when I lived back east as well though in that case it was usually that they just didn't come out of summer dormancy).

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 18:43

Actually, sunset zone 14 has sufficient winter chill for Oriental Poppies, or at least some of them. I've seen them do well enough in some gardens here in Berkeley, ss 17. Probably they aren't as popular at nurseries because they don't look particularly good as a one gallon container plant, being more difficult to have as blooming, retail quality plants. These days, so few people are knowledgeable enough to look for things that may not be in full bloom, so the nurseries can't sell them, therefore they don't carry them. Try mail order nurseries if you want some.

o

I grew them in Watsonville sunset 17, they bloomed alright but just were not impressive enough to compete with many other flowering plants. Al

o

Thanks - those answers all make sense. Kind of boarderline for chill and hard for nurseries to sell. That part is a bummer all the way around. It seems like more and more all the nurseries have the same plants.

o

mysticfoxtrot, the lack of variety in plants offered for sale is true. However the area is able to grow more variety than probably any other place in the country. Few retail nurseries are willing to gamble their money on the public acceptance of unfamiliar plants. Many of us in response, grow our own plants, many of which are offered for sale by club plant sales. Plus botanical gardens often have plant sales of plants difficult for home growers to start. Watch for these opportunities if you don't want to start your own. Some nurseries, like Annies Annuals, are a bonanza of unusual plants available in four inch pots. Al

o

Yeah and Annie has offered Oriental poppies before. Not sure if she still does.

o

I grew one once. It bloomed at ground level for two years running. It was pretty if you got down on your hands and knees.

o

hosenemesis - that is too funny. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here