Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhubarb in Southern Calif?

Posted by sib5 socal9 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 08 at 1:37

Does anyone grow rhubarb in socal with good results?
Do you have any tips or tricks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhubarb in Southern Calif?

I am here in inland San Diego Co. and I have had great luck with rhubarb. I have an extra huge plant that has been in the ground about 3 years now. I am finally going to be brave and divide it this year.

I planted it with lots of my own garden compost. It is on the outside edge of my veggie garden so it does get regular but not soaking irrigation.

While it produces many nice fat stems I rarely harvest any since I am the only one in my family that likes it!It makes a great edible ornamental.

o

• Posted by sib5 socal9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 14:28

Yeah...Thumbs-up from jillberto!

Thank you for giving me the courage to plant rhubarb here in
Bradbury CA.

Now I know what to do.

I will be using it for my strawberry jam making.

I just need a temporary source to get me started.

There are many varieties of rhubarb, do you by any chance know which one yours is? or one especially for socal?

o

sib5 - I was curious as to where you are located. My folks are in Monrovia. Bradbury is a small place.

Sorry, I don't know what type I am growing. The stems display more green than red. I just bought it from my local corner nursery.

I could never figure out the timing of rhubarb/strawberry combos.

o

I'd like to know the variety also if anyone else has had luck. Mine always died in the past and I gave up. Jim in Corona California. Thanks

o

I was told by my friend Tony Kienitz (Master Vegetablarian, author of The Year I Ate My Yard and edible landscape professional) that to develop good flavor rhubarb needs chilling that we don't have in So Cal. I remember it was grown in Switzerland and made into local specialties (pastries and jams) but it snows there.

o

I have tried many time to plant Rhubarb. I am in the San Gabriel Valley. One time I was successful and managed to keep the plant going for several years. But then it eventually faded away.

Last year I planted one in a 5 gallon pot, which I move around the yard, depending on what I feel it needs. It looks great now. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I love rhubarb pie, so I would love to have a production plant, if possible.

Karin

o

I think the lack of chill is the major problem in So. Calif. Used to live in Ontario Canada and they grew like weeds with a snow cover, water and rich soil. Regards - Jim McNulty in Corona, Calif.

o

I am curious, too. At a local farmer's market, I made a bee line for a strawberry rhubarb pie. The baker, maybe from Scotland, said, "So you must be from somewhere colder." I also understood from a former co-worker that it's dangerous to eat the leaves. I wonder what type jilberto has --- have you tried it? Somewhere, I have a strawberry rhubarb pie recipe...

o

I have been searching all over for rhubarb! I would like to grow it myself but have been somewhat discouraged by what I have read. I did find a good article by UC Davis called "Rhubarb Production in California".

I would like to try some "Cherry Red" (according the the UCD article, a variety that grows in CA) rhubarb in a barrel instead of the ground as it should get colder during the winter.

If that doesn't work, they say you can do rhubarb as an annual, but that could get mighty pricey since Park Seeds is selling sets (of two) bareroot rhubarb for $12.95.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb Production in California

o

Would love to get a couple rhubarb plants, if someone is thinning out their plants. I live in the North County San Diego
silverring18@netscape.net

o

I think I saw some rhubarb plants at Green Arrow. Never have tried growing it, but I love rhubarb/strawberry pie!

o

They are currently selling Victoria Rhubarb bulbs at Home Depot for $3.98 per 2. I live in Lemon Grove (San Diego).

o

You will see it in the stores along with tulips and other cold area plants that don't grow well here. It's fun to try but it prefers winter cold as others have said.

o

Jassiada: Home Depot and Lowe's sell lots of plants and seeds that have no business being planted here. Example -- Long day onion seeds.

I've never grown rhubarb but it sounds like it likes a chill. Maybe in the Mountains of SoCal?

Kevin

o

Some advice given by a long time gardener was to plant the Rhubarb, but don't wait a year to harvest like usually suggested because it will probably not return. Think of it like a zucchini plant that you start again each season.

So I put one rhubarb in a place that it would be in the way next season, but fine for this one year. Three years later it is still happy and making rhubarb in a west facing hillside full sun all day slope.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here