Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something different for red winter blooms

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 1:39

Southwestern Australian has a wealth of less well known flowering shrubs in the Pea Family, and this Brachysema lanceolatum is one of them. I'm using an older name for this, it has recently been completely renamed. Very useful for being deer tolerant, winter blooming and relatively low water using, and cheery red blooms. Brachysema praemorsum 'Bronze Butterfly' is a summer blooming cousin with dark bronze foliage, that is probably the more common of the two. If anyone is interested in tracking down B. lanceolatum for their garden, Annie's Annuals grows it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brachysema lanceolatum in bloom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something different for red winter blooms

Fire engine red Antirrhinum bloomed all winter last year and lasted until hot weather in May. Not a rare plant, but a beautiful one, and certainly red. Al

o
RE: Something different for red winter blooms

Very cool! Do hummingbirds like it? Acid test in my garden-not only must it be attractive, it needs to feed something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here