Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbclem

source in Los Angeles for food grade plastic (rain) barrels?

jbclem
14 years ago

I'm looking for a place to get a few cheap, or free, food grade plastic barrels to use for collecting rain water. I know there are businesses that sell these for $30-$120 but I'm not in that league. I'm hoping someone will say: John, just go to the Coke plant at this address, at 4pm, and ask for the plant manager Mr. Freerainbarrels. Or something like that.

John

Comments (6)

• californian
    14 years ago

Look on Craigslist, search under barrels or drums. The going rate is generally around $20 a barrel. If possible get one that you can remove the whole top rather than the ones that just have two bung holes in the top. Much more useful. Try to get ones that you know what was in them, and try to get ones that are already cleaned.

• 1canyongirl
    14 years ago

I know it's a bit of a distance, but my neighbor purchased several after I located a company on craigslist in Anaheim. The only drawback perhaps is that they are all blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: craigslist link w/photos

• jplanet
    14 years ago

I've been harvesting rainwater for about 14 years now. Recently I joined the City of Los Angeles Rainwater Harvesting Program and they gave me a free rainwater barrel and put it into place beneath my downspout. They're also providing a free 1 hour consult w a landscape architect to consult on how to get the water to where I need (so I don't have to continue carrying it in a watering can).

The barrel they gave us is black, has a net at the top to catch debris so it won't fall into your harvested water and has 2 spouts - one near the top & one near the bottom - for outflow of the harvested water. I want more!

I got it from Erika:
    Malcolm Pirnie, Inc.
    Attn: Erika Kennelly
    888 West 6th Street, 3rd Floor
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    Fax- (213) 614-9003
    (562) 597-0231
    ekennelley@pirnie.com

Right now this is a test program in my general area (WLA) and the city is trying to figure out if they can afford to continue to support this effort. I urge anyone living in the LA City area to call or e Erika and ask her about their program.

There's also a few current listing for various barrels on craigslist, here's a sample one, this barrel is bright blue w no holes/spouts:
    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/grd/1558852085.html

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Check with local carwashes. Their detergent usually comes in 55 gal #1 or #2 (food grade) plastic barrels. I keep reading on koi forums that's where a lot of people get them for DIY filters. Local food or nutritional supplement manufacturers are another possibility.

Some people get cheap inflatable plastic pools for temporary water storage. They can hold several hundred gallons. "Intex" is the brand. Then you can deflate them when the rainy season is over and store them for next year...I'm using my koi quarantine tank (no sick or new fish, so it was available). It holds 1200 gallons and I've filled it twice over with rainwater this year.

• home_grower
    14 years ago

I have found food grade ones before at a local tack and feed store. I believe I paid about $15 each. They had a label that they were previously filled with soy sauce. They were pressure washed but they were the bunghole type. They had them in white and blue.

• cityaddict1
    12 years ago

Not sure about the answer.

Craigslist or local forums would probably be good places to ask.

LA Forum