Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have a subsurface irrigation contractor recommendations?

Posted by monjolijardin z10 CA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 10:12

I need to have my front lawn replaced as it has been destroyed by the roots of a tree that we just removed.

Since a lot of digging will take place to remove the root, I decided to look into subsurface irrigation for my lawn.

Would you happen to have any recommendations in terms of contractors who could do the job in the Oceanside, Vista and Carlsbad area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have a subsurface irrigation contractor recommendation

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 10:56

do you get gophers? they will bite into the lines for the water. You are probably better off with a low precipitation rate rotor like MP rotators. subsurface irrigation is great for small residential planting areas and grass tennis courts, but I wouldn't put it in a residential lawn.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 3:01

I'd suggest checking for contractor referrals from your localNetafim distributor/irrigation supplier. I spec'd netafim for a subdivision in Livermore, Ca once 20 years ago, thinking it would result in significant water savings. It was more expensive to install due to fewer contractors familiar with most efficient installation techniques. It also drove individual homeowners crazy, because the watering wasn't visible, and many homeowners would reset timing way beyond what the manufacturer recommended based on local climate and soils. I've never been tempted to spec it again. With the drought, I'd suggest jettisoning the lawn, period, and redesigning the yard with drought tolerant design/no lawn.

o

Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 11:07

what bahia said.

Netafim is definitely the way to go for drip, but you have to be very cognizant of your soil type. Sandy soil requires a lot of emitters which means a lot of tube.

The bestidea is to ditch the lawn.

o

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry for the delayed responses. I have been under the weather and forgot about my computer for a few days.

No, we do not have gophers. Nevertheless, thank you for the heads up.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the lawn. Unfortunately, our HOA prevents us from doing so.

I will contact a few of my local Netafim distributor/irrigation supplier for referrals. Thanks for the tip.

o

Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 12:02

HOA lawn requirements should be illegal in Southern California.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here