Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting back a yucca?

Posted by bettyn_gardener 9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 09 at 10:27

I have a yucca that has been in a large pot for at least 6 or 7 years. It is now nearing 10 feet tall. It has started to produce 2 branchlets near the base. I would love to cut it back because the height is out of proportion with everything else on the enclosed deck (open overhead). Can I cut it back without it forever looking beheaded? If I can cut it back - how much would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

BettyN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting back a yucca?

I'm pretty sure you can. I see lots of yuccas that look like they've been topped off to encourage branching.

o

I agree. I think yuccas are pretty much indestructible.

I had one growing that I wanted to get rid of. I hacked and hacked at the trunk, dug a moat around the base and kept it filled with water hoping to rot it out. It finally rotted and I set the rotted stump aside, filled in the hole and about a month later a baby yucca was growing out of the hole. 2 months later I noticed to yucca babies growing out of the rotted piece of stump that was just sitting there. It's been 2 years now and babies are still growing out of both the original hole and the stump. One tough plant!

wanda

o

Now that you know you are not going to kill it, back to the question of what will it look like cut off? The pups growing on the base of the old stem will grow and fill out and in a year or two and cover the stub. If it were mine I think I would consider removing the pups from the stem and planting them in pots to grow on. After 6 or 7 years the soil in the old pot must be in such a poor condition only a yucca could survive in it. I would discard the old plant and the soil and start over with new soil formulated for long life. If you want the best architectural looking plant just plant one of the old pups in the rejuvenated container. I prefer the look of a healthy new plant over an old revived one. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here