Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We got a normal years rainfall already

Posted by californian 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 6, 10 at 11:12

Looks like the drought is finally broken. According to my rain gauge we already got 14.5 inches of rain in Fullerton in north Orange County, thanks to the additional 2.5 inches we got yesterday and this morning. It would really help if we got maybe 17 to 20 inches total this rainy season. I expect to see a lot of green this year.
The really good thing is this rain will leach the salt buildup out of the soil caused by years of watering with Colorado River water that comes out of the hose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We got a normal years rainfall already

Oh, absolutely. So much here on my property was really, really struggling by the end of summer with water bills getting higher and higher and me trying to water less. Everything is fresh and lush and healthy now, soil has been cleansed, everything is thriving and happy. I heard it mentioned on the weather report that our El Nino rains would continue through mid-spring and I'm hoping that means a much later start to my 'watering' season. I have a large sweep of echium fastuosums that were really in bad shape and I figured that they were nearing the end of their 5-6 year lifespan...now they are absolutely beautiful once again.

o

Nope, sorry the drought is not broken. It can take up to 3 years of excessive amounts to get relief from a drought. Just cuz you got normal doesn't mean the reserviors are more than full to last. The wish for 20 inches won't last long enough.

"The Colorado River, the other major source of imported supplies for Metropolitan, has experienced drought conditions for eight of the last nine years." for more info on that statement follow the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: water alert

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 6, 10 at 15:13

Yesterday/this morning was incredible, just non-stop heavy rain, more even than any day of the Jan. storms. I'm still left wondering about runoff from these high-intensity storms vs the recharge rate of the groundwater & aquifers and whether a few superstorms can equal months of steady rain for non-irrigated lands.

Sure did me right though, as I had just weeded and transplanted some seedlings, so this watered them right in.

o

Not here in the south SF bay area-but in the north bay some of Marin county have already DOUBLED last years rain total. And they really need it since that exclusive area depends on five dinky resevoirs for ALL their water-no Sac river,Yosemite or Sierra's...just five giant ponds.

o

I think my neighbor's trees may live after this rainfall. They have not had a drink since 2005, and they were beginning to look a little peaked.

o

Lake Oroville is still way down. They kept pumping out water to send to So Cal until it was almost just a mud puddle. The mountains in the north still need a lot more snow to make up for the dry years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here