Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaca_gw

How to start a grape vine

lindaca
13 years ago

Hi,

My son has a old old grape vine in his yard, seedless and really tasty. My question is can I start-propagate new plants from this old vine? If so how.

Thanks for your help

Linda

Comments (12)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

You can take a cutting and graft on to a suitable rootstock, which likely is the situation now. Else you can take a cutting and try to root, and hope the cutting is strong enough to survive.

Dan

• johnnycadoseed
    13 years ago

Linda,
    Check my answer to your question under "How to care for grape vine". One thing I left out was I wait until the vines are just coming out of dormancy.
    John

13 years ago

The only issue being, Johnny, is whether the cutting will be strong enough when it gets older, which is why grapes are grafted onto suitable rootstock.

Dan

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Here in California we have a soil pest that attacks grape roots and can(and has)wiped out a whole vineyard in less than ten years. A native grape has been used as a rootstock here for at least 100 years and the university of California is working continually to improve it. Al

• johnnycadoseed
    13 years ago

Al and Dan,
    I was not aware of a root attacking pest problem that you have in california. I live in the Las Vegas area (Henderson) and the only problem I have are swarms of leafhoppers. Rootstock sounds like the proper way to assure sucess. My way is simple with almost certain sucess but you would have to worry about the root pest from now on. How long has this root pest been around? I can't immagine the 1500's spanish padres using root stock on their grape cuttings brought from Spain for communion wine.

13 years ago

My ag/vit classes were some years ago, but I seem to recall the Italians in the late 1800s discovering the issue after their grapes were wiped out, in the Sierra foothills + Napa IIRC. Nonetheless, it is likely the vine in question is grafted and so there is some chance that the cuttings would be hard-pressed to withstand the heat and dryness down there without suitable rootstock to draw moisture from the soil. Surely there are suitable rootstocks available for grafting via Internets.

Dan

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

I have to say that I don't know a lot about the whole rootstock issue, but our grapes will root anywhere a branch lays on the ground. You might try just bending down a cane, pinning a node or a tip to the ground and then bury it a bit. It would be on it's own rootstock but just might survive since it's parent has been around so long.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

For those of you wanting more information on the root pest originating in the new world, it is "grape Phylloxera" and a very good history is found on Google. Here on the ranch our grapes were grafted onto a native grape before 1900. Al

• johnnycadoseed
    13 years ago

Linda, Al, Dan,
    I googled "Grape Phylloxera" and found that garfting to suitabe rootstock is still no guarantee. Linda, you say your in zone 9 but we don't know your exact location. The "sun, sand, and wind" of the provence area has been a major deterrent to phylloxera. If you are located in area like this then try my simple method. If not, do Dan's way. In both cases, keep your fingers crossed. One other thing I would suggest is to check with your local extension or a knowledgeable nursery and see what they have to say.
    John

13 years ago

I agree you should give both a whirl and see what happens, keeping in mind that grafting is done for many reasons, including onto a rootstock that can take drought and heat. Nothing to lose and a fun experiment. The only time I did grape grafting I think I got half to take and I gave them away to appreciative recipients.

Dan

• lindaca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you guys so much for the advice. I have never grafter anything in my life so this seems like a good time to start. I will try both ways. Now I just have to find some rootstock. I'll go to the nursery maybe they can direct me.
    I live in Concord (s.f. east bay) Any other advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks so much
    Linda

• tania
    10 years ago

I've had success in rooting cuttings by taking a section of older wood, with one bud at the top and one at the bottom. I just stick them into pots with moist potting soil and keep them on the east side of the property where they get morning sun, and water when needed. I've never used rooting hormone or anything, I just cut them and stick them in the pots, leaving the top half of the cutting exposed. The variety I've done this for is Red Flame.