Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Is anyone growing Goji Berry ?

kittymoonbeam
11 years ago

We like these but recently found out that the imported berries from China may contain high levels of pesticide/insecticide and sometimes chemicals banned by the FDA.

I saw Wayside Gardens offers Goji in a quart size and wondered if this plant would grow in my Sunset 23 Orange County garden.

Comments (9)

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

You should have no problems growing goji. They grow well in both temperate and hot climates, and they are drought tolerant.

They germinate easily from dried berries available at health food stores.

There is a variety that grows in the desert in arizona - lycium exsertum, which I hope to get some of at some point, but I've used up my seed budget:

�Lycium exsertum. (a!,h) LYCI-22. Packet: $2.50
    'WOLFBERRY'. Profuse small lavender flowers followed by abundant bright red edible berries. Spiny shrub to 3 - 6 feet. Low deserts, Arizona and M�xico. Very drought resistant. The berries were eaten in great quantities by the Indians, fresh, cooked, or dried like raisins. Good wildlife shrub. Germinates in 2 - 6 weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: jlhudson seedsman

• sf_rhino
    11 years ago

I got a lot of sprouts from a few old old old berries I had in the back of my cupboard, but none of them survived past a few weeks. Any advice?

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

Only real advice is to try again.

Even at $30 a pound at whole foods, an ounce of dried berries is under $2, and pretty sure that is more than the number of seeds found in a $3.00 pack of seeds. But as I said, I pick up the spilled ones for free.

I'd soak them overnight first, then gently open up the berries and spread the seeds around a pot with potting soil. Cover with a light dusting of soil and keep them moist and warm.

• Sean
    11 years ago

I a goji berry plant from Armstrong Garden Center. I don't know if they have any more. I heard that they do pretty well, and they are easy to grow in containers. I think they were somewhere around 20 bucks if not less. Its definitely worth a try to get a plant. Nothing better than growing your own fruit/veggies/berries.

I am not too far from you, i am in Los Angeles.

Good Luck

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope the fresh flavor is as good as the dried. I'm not usually a dried fruit fan but I do like these.

• Ineffectual-Idealist
    11 years ago

Many Home Depot's have it available and is usually placed near the potted fruit trees. Good size and around $20 if I remember right. Very unfussy bush, and not too picky about soil and doesn't need a lot of water, just decent sun. A bit gangly looking. I have a very easy time with it.

www.groworganic.com has a how-to video on gogi bushes and sells organic ones.

Addendum: I'm in the valley area just above LA. If I can grow, you should be able to in Orange County.
    Thanks for the info that the ones from China are somtimes tainted.

This post was edited by Ineffectual-Idealist on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 1:42

• treehugger101
    10 years ago

I wonder how many Goji berry bushes one would need to produce two handfuls of dried berries a day. Is there any way to figure it out?

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Someone on the fruit forum said that these plants can be invasive and difficult to remove. Think carefully before planting in the ground.

• peachymomo
    10 years ago

Do you know where that fruit poster was from? A lot of things that are invasive east of the Rockies can't survive without irrigation out here. I planted a goji bush and it died, but I didn't water enough and I think a gopher or dog may have gotten to it.