Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Irises that do well in Southern CA

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 11:38

Hi all,
If you're interested in irises that won't melt in the Southern California heat, here's a post on iris hybridizer Margie Valenzuela on the AIS blog. She hybridizes in Arizona, so her flowers do very well in So Cal.
Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: AIS blog Margie Valenzuela

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Irises that do well in Southern CA

Moving this down the list.

o

I liked sunrise at dawn. My best iris has been Frequent Flier. Last year wasn't a great year for my iris and one of the staff at Descanso said they had a poor iris year too so I don't feel so bad.

o

It was a lousy year for me too. I hope this year is better, but I doubt it will be because I divided all of my clumps last year.

o

Wowie, Renee. I am getting ready to work with one of our really exceptional SDHS members qho is also an award-winning landscape designer to work on my side yard. One goal in that area is to add more irises. This is just perfect. Now, to find out how to get my hands on some of Margie's fantastic irises. I'm really interested in rebloomers if possible, as all of mine currently are not. I was considering for some of my planters to do 'Gourmet Popcorn' roses and 'City Lights' irises, as I think the contrast would be so pretty, but I'm now going to rethink this. Thanks for sharing this. And, my irises were not nearly as grand as the year before, and I need to divide them up for sure, way too crowded, so I will have to do that as well with this project.

Patty S.

o

Oooh- Gourmet Popcorn and City Lights! Wowie. City Lights reblooms very late here- in the winter. It sure is an eye-catcher in the garden.

Violet Turner has been a champion rebloomer for my mom. Mariposa Autumn is another winner- reblooms all summer and fall.

Margie's irises are available at Nola's Iris gardens, Rockytop, and Kari Iris Garden.

o

Thank you, Renee! I am taking notes for Saturday!! My big challenge with this north part of my yard, is 1/2 of it is in nearly complete shade from the house nearly all year 'round, and the other half in in full sun during the summer, then more shaded during the winter, when the sun is lower in the horizon. Plus, it gets standing water in the winter during our rains. Linda Bresler will have her hands full for this part of my yard. I have relented and am getting some real professional help :-) Great article on Margie, btw, Renee, I really enjoyed reading it.

Patty S.

o

Let us know what she comes up with for those conditions- I have a spot like that.
Renee

o

I sure will, Renee. It's been the buggaboo of my yard since buying this lovely home. It is such a pretty part of my yard, but most definitely the most challenging.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here