Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep___roots

shots from the weekend in my garden

deep___roots
13 years ago

hello hellebore

{{gwi:510154}}

geranium (do these hybridize on their own? i'm pretty sure the original planting here was red, although there are whites nearby)

{{gwi:510155}}

california buckeye (grown from collected fruit or nut or whatever you call what they produce)

{{gwi:510157}}

yes, it was quite a day. saturday's sunset. in february. are you kidding me?

{{gwi:510158}}

Comments (6)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Very lovely, deep roots! This is why we live in California :-) While the rest of the country is still getting nasty weather, or up to their knees in snow or ice, my Anna apple tree is covered with lovely pink blossoms, my Ceanothus are just bursting with lovely blue blossoms, and it is 74 degrees here, as I look out onto the Pacific ocean sparkling on the horizon :-) And yes, geraniums (pelagorniums) have a tendency to sport, so it's not surprising at all to see a branch with pink flowers from a white parent (or vice versa). In fact, this is how different pelagorniums were developed in the very early days. a Very under-appreciated plant for us in California, and one that should be considered I think more often. They are nearly pest-free, require very little care, you can forget to water them for weeks and they still look lovely, and you can revive them from the dead. Plus there are so many varieties to choose from, and we can now even get reliable seeds. Great landscape plant, and they are madly in bloom down here in N. San Diego county right now.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geranium Fact Sheet-National Garden Bureau

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

I want to second that -- when I look at those pictures, I feel good about living in California!

Enjoy the good weather...perhaps a few cold nights again but this past weekend was gorgeous -- with mid70's - 80's weather!

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Nice pictures deep roots. I love the hellebore! Thanks for posting.

It feels like it is almost spring here in Southern California. The roses are leaving out like crazy some have even buds, my camellias are starting to bloom (obviously a late flowering variety), the cymbidium orchids just opened their first flowers, alstromerias, nemesias and scabiosas bloom already. Last weekend we had gorgeous weather. Life is good in California!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• lindaca
    13 years ago

Hi,
    Great pictures. I am interested in how you germinated the buckeye. I love the look of it and I have access to lots of pods(?) or whatever you call them. Do you break the pod open and plant the seeds inside?

• deep___roots
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info on geranium sporting. I thus christen this geranium "peppermint deeprootsii".
    Re: the CA buckeye - on bike rides in the foothills, I noticed the pods (good word for them) by the side of the road in great profusion. I believe they show up in November or December typically, that time of year more or less. Since they sprout where they land (if they don't dry out too much or get eaten by squirrels or run over by car tires) I initially tried to mimic those conditions by just placing a pod in a pot of soil. This was not successful. What I discovered is you need to find pods that are putting out this white tap root which they will typically do most often if they are near a creek or rivulet by the side of the road and the weather is wet or has been very wet recently. The white tap root comes out as the pod cracks open and the tap root bends and seeks soil. You can take a little soil with the pod if the tap root is already anchored. Just gather these pods up and set them individually in your pot of soil and protect them from squirrel depredations for the first year as squirrels see the pod and will grab it if they can, and the success rate is very high. After the first year or 2 the pod degrades and you get a good trunk and the squirrels will then leave these plants alone. I currently have 5 little trees. The key is: White tap root emerging from pod = easy as pie.

• lindaca
    13 years ago

Thank You so much for the information. I will sure give this a try. I love the leaves and flowers on this tree.
    Thanks again.
    Linda