Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greensward_gw

Vine for pergola near house

greensward
10 years ago

Hi,

First let me say that I love the overgrown look but have been warned about vines on wood houses. Have a pergola that gets full AM sun and part PM and am looking for a vine. I have a lot of morning glorys so maybe something different. I have an old wine barrel if that would help contain a more vigorous vine. Cup of Gold? Purple Passion Flower? Climbing Roses? It's right by the front so want something that looks good most of the time. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (7)

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Hibbertia scandens (Guinea Gold Vine) if you like yellow. It doesn't take over like too many do.

Trachelospermum jasminoides (Star Jasmine) if you like white and fragrance.

Clytostoma callistegioides (Lavender Trumpet Vine). Vigorous once established but I do love how it combines with other colors. A half barrel would keep it in bounds.

Mandevillea. Tropical so only for mild winter areas.

I'm a vine lover but other than clematis and climbing roses those are the only ones I'll allow. Attached link has more info. Irisgal

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg0715070429073.html

• greensward
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for that, very useful! I'm thinking maybe a lavender trumpet, they seem less vigorous than the red and maybe the wine barrel would contain it...?

• Lars
    10 years ago

From my experience, lavender trumpets are quite vigorous and require a lot of maintenance to remove dead leaves and branches.

I'm allergic to jasmine, and so that would be out for me, and it is also fairly messy.

If you are in the right zone, a golden chalice would be beautiful and easy to maintain. The one I had in Venice grew over an archway that I built over the driveway, and it had flowers pretty much all year, although somewhat less in December and January. It is also very easy to control and does not create a lot of dead leaf waste.

Passion vine is a very good choice, and you get fruit from it. I used to get 60 passion fruit a day from the vine I had in Venice, and so I had to buy a juicer in order to be able to use all the fruit. The fruit is very tart, but you add sweetener to it and make sorbet that is heavenly. Passion vines do create a lot of dead leaf waste, however.

I put redwood slats on my pergola so that it would be shady, and now I can use that shade to protect many of my bromeliads.

Lars

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

Solanum Jasminoides

Pandorea jasminoides

Hardenbergia

All are light weight, at least for me. Pandorea requires tying at first.

Vines that I have grown that would be too heavy are
    Honeysuckle and Star Jasmine.
    I want a Clematis to climb up my Pandorea but never seem to get around to it.

• devolet
    10 years ago

Hardenbergia as mentioned is great, I have one on chainlink fencing that is evergreen and blooms in the winter. Trim back to keep tidy with a shears. I pulled a star jasmine off the house that was too heavy and unruly, and the house got a good repainting, there is a light and airy asparagus fern twining up in its place that looks fantastic. There's also a rose called Vichenblau with dusky violet blooms that would look great on a pergola.

• wcgypsy
    10 years ago

What about one of the thunbergias? Or mandevilla laxa? I have grown these, though not on a pergola under 'controlled' conditions.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

Where you have "none" in your name, you could show your planting zone so we know what you can grow. With your exposure the climbing Hydrangea should be beautiful and easy to control. Al