Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
its going to be COLD

Posted by sffog 10/SanFran (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 13:10

be prepared to cover tender plants towards the end of the week we are suppose to get COLD maybe even snow at sea level
i have new leaves on meyers lemon shrub, butter crunch lettuce about 2 inches, pea pods climbing, kale and collards should be okay , going to get those agribond covers out today

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: its going to be COLD

I just read this story on SF Gate. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow at sea level in bay area

o

They are saying snow is possible in Escondido, a northern town of San Diego County, on Saturday.

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 22:13

I don't want to hear this......

o

Get used to it.

Dan

o

lol.....

o

Wasn't nearly as cold as advertised last night in Central Marin county... Supposed to be really cold thursday and friday night, so I'll bring my figs inside, but we'll see.

Anybody seeing anything dramatic yet?

o

43 for a low this morning..and the lowest low fo rmost of the inner bay area shouldnt be lower than 35f at worst F-S. But,its not so much cold at sea level as very cold higher up that some winter wonderland might visit us. Funny,but most snowy days in history have happened in February.

o

They are predicting snow in my neighborhood - I just finished covering all my sensitive plants with tarp. But, seeing snow in my yard will be something!

o

Yeah,there saying snow...some are. The big local media weather names arent. The newbys are for some reason...

o

Our coldest morning this year, 26 degrees. This is about normal for our lowest temperatures of the year. We have no snow or rain, I believe clouds would need to be present. Al

o

• Posted by sffog 10/SanFran (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 12:02

reports of snow flurries on mt davidson but i was asleep so i can't comment but the cars are frosty this morning but melting quickly its bright,sunny and currently 40 degrees in my backyard not bad

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 12:41

Not even frost here in the flats of my Berkeley neighborhood this morning, and I am thankful because I got lazy and didn't move or cover anything. One or at most two more nights to get through, apparently, and I think we will be in the clear. I would have felt rather guilty if half the garden looked fried, and the Cymbidium blooms in particular this year are looking prime.

o

What snow??? They had me fooled. Not even frost here - temps fell to the 31, but back to 45 now. To think that I wasted half a day covering all my sensitive plants ...

o

I thought it would fizzle-and it did.

o

Well, we had frost, and what sounded like sleet last night (too late/early and too tired to get up and look out the window). It was definitely in the low 30's this morning. Thank goodness I covered up my little Jan Boyce, Nimlioh and Kona Sharwil avos last night. Same cold temps forcasted for tonight out here in N. San Diego county. Lots of frost on the ground this morning. Hope my figs are okay, and the rest of my citrus. May cover my smaller fig trees - the Panache Fig is too tall for me to cover.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 11:55

I did dig out the row covers yesterday afternoon and cover a lot of stuff, mostly all potted (got a LOT of potted stuff..lol..)Took a walk around this a.m. to see what had taken place during the night.....we do have some frost. It's interesting to see the small areas that got hit and right next to it, nothing. Nothing as dire as predicted, but will have to wait until the sun has hit everything to really see about any damage. This is when we find out how tough things really are for our locale.
Time to take a run out through Warner Springs and the Pauma Valley to take a look at the snow on the mountains......

o

We had a hard frost last night. The roof and the ground was covered in ice. But, the plants seemed ok - no frost or ice on the trees, but the grass underneath was covered in ice. But this seems the end of the bad weather in bay area.

o

Juuuuust,missed a black frosting of plants in Hayward..I saw the temps at 4am or so at 35,went back to sleep..woke up,got the paper at 7:45 to see a low of 34f hadnt done any damage-whew. Warming up though with lots of sun.
I did cover some planted Plumeria last night to hedge bets...
The hills look so nice right now-verdant green...

o

25 degrees here last night in northern Marin. The new growth on my citrus is toasted. Sad. I want spring!

-Brett

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here