Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caterpillars- are these guys good or evil?

Posted by lynne3450 10b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 14:00

Hi, suddenly this morning my husband and I discovered 8 three inch caterpillars climbing up the stucco of the Western exposure on our house. We're fairly new gardeners and we haven't seen caterpillars before. They're black and brownish red. I'm going to try to attach pictures because I'd appreciate your help identifying if these are good witch caterpillars or bad witch caterpillars (Wizard of Oz reference there).

We're in Los Angeles, zone 10b, if that tells you anything.

Thank you!
Lynne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caterpillars- are these guys good or evil?

How annoying-- I'm not sure if you'll be able to see my photobucket photos- click on "view all" button.

Here's also a wikipedia link to the Nymphalis antiopa that I just found searching online: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymphalis_antiopa

Does that seem like the right match?

We DO have a big Chinese Elm out front, which it seems to like to feed on.

Do you know if we'll have any problems with these little buggers eating our other plants?

Thank you!

o

These butterflies (mourning cloak) are very common in southern California. I don't think they'll be a problem. They're not listed as a pest in the references I read.

Here is a link that might be useful: UCCE Integrated Pest Management

o

They are my favorite butterflies. Congratulations- I have not been able to establish them here. They don't eat much- a few leaves of your willow tree. They do not eat garden shrubs or flowers, just tree leaves.
Renee

o

Wow, thank you both! Lgteacher, great link, I bookmarked it.

Hosenemesis, how cool! I'm glad that we've attracted a friendly critter to our property! :)

o

I didn't notice that you said they were on your elm. That's good news- my neighbors have Chinese elms!
Renee

o

• Posted by sib5 socal9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 2:55

Raising Butterflies (mourning cloak)
Suitable Host Plants:
Almost any elm, hackberry, willow, or cottonwood,
Birch, or Aspen .... Larval plants include mostly riparian plants like willows, cottonwoods, elm, hackberry and others
It never fails to arouse admiration on account of its brilliant coloration and boldness of pattern." Comstock

o

Lynne, if you are new to gardening and like butterflies, you might want to look into planting a few milkweed plants too (Asclepias californica), the primary food plant for monarch butterflies. Those caterpillars are quite distinctive and the monarchs need all the help they can get in keeping their population numbers up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Xerces - monarch conservation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here