Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade Tree with Non Invasive Roots

Posted by desertdance Sunset Zone 19 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 14:10

We just purchased an old home, severely neglected and overgrown, and removed 3 trees. Two highly root invasive Liquidamber's and one Silk Oak. Both extremely messy and roots too invasive! The Liquidamber roots actually split a huge boulder!!

Any suggestions for a fast growing shade tree about 10 feet from slab with non-spreading roots?

Less mess the better as the tree will shade the house in the afternoon, and a big deck in the morning. The deck is huge and the current Silk Oak drops horrible seeds constantly! We took one out, but left one so we'd have a little shade.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade Tree with Non Invasive Roots

How tall and wide would you like? Evergreen or deciduous? Al

o

Deciduous is fine because warmth in winter is desirable, but a good evergreen would be nice too. The house is about 2 1/2 stories above the tree site, so we'd like the roof to get some shade to assist in keeping the house cooler in hot summer months. Any suggestions will be welcomed!

Thanks!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 18:23

Have a look here at the Cal Poly Tree Selector. It can help narrow down your choices, then ask again here for performance in your Sunset zone.

My local nurseryman says this of

Acer freemanii AUTUMN FANTASY MAPLE

"Here's one of my favorite trees. This is a hybrid between the Red Maple (which won't succeed locally) and the Silver Maple (which performs well but has yellow fall color). This medium to large tree grows quickly with large, lobed leaves that are green above and silvery below during the growing season. The reliable fall foliage color is magenta and rose. This sterile hybrid makes no flowers or seed pods. The roots are relatively benign and don't send up suckers. This tree is not without faults. It's long slender branches are subject to breakage from ice storms in colder climates. Locally, it's nearly perfect.

Situate in sun. Provide decent soil and average moisture."

He's in Sunset 20 not 19, but the two zones are pretty close in condition.

Part (not all, but part) of avoiding root problems is watering properly so you don't end up with surface roots. If the soil is moistened only 1" down, even well-behaved trees must get into that 1" to get water, and they will do it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cal Poly SLO Selectree

This post was edited by hoovb on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 18:35

o

Wow! Fantastic link! Thanks so much! I'll be using that link for many other places in our 1.4 acre rocky hillside property!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here