Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lantana Leaf Problem. Question

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 14:24

We have noticed a strange occurance on the Lantana in a planting bed close to the house. The area gets morning sun and afternoon shade.

The new growth doesn't have the problem, as you can see from the healthy flower, but the leaves on the right of the photo show damage.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Close up of damage

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Is this insects or mold or what?

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lantana Leaf Problem. Question

Looks like a little dark centered feverfew bloom!

Does anything fly around when you scrape at it? If you examine some scraped residue on dark paper do you see a dried out shape with legs?

The 2 white insect buildups I'm familar with are whitefly and mealybug. But I haven't seen a circular pattern. This is the time of year for whitefly in our zone. If you have a knowledgeable nursery person take them a branch for id.

I would cut off affected growth and if it began on newer growth I'd use Bayer all in one product.

o

Is it only on the older leaves?

Lantana gets Entomosporium leaf spot during wet and/or humid weather. Self limiting when the weather changes.

o

Interesting. In drought ridden So CA, we did have some rain, and it might be due to that! New growth is clean and green! So, no worries? It's just a life cycle?
Suzi

o

We'll hit the plant with Bayer. We have a few Lantana's in our yard, and this is the only one affected. Yes, it's currently only on the older leaves.

I don't see anything flying around, but if anything is munching, Bayer will do the trick.

Thanks!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 17:43

will also kill any bees that visit the flowers. you sure it is not bird poop?

o

I got that before. It was just a little the first year but the year after it was really bad. I hope you can find out how to cure it.

o

The cause isn't insects. Don't try to kill something that's not there with unnecessary pesticides.

o

I think that it is a kind of disease

o

Well, I'll know if rain causes it because this weekend rain is predicted. It's odd because only one of my lantanas is affected. There is another, spaced about 4' from this one, and it's fine!

I'll take a leaf to the local real nursery, and see if they can ID the problem.

Thanks,

Suzi

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 23:01

Lantana is almost bulletproof here. I would prune out and discard the old nasty leaves and let the garden gnomes work the rest of it out. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here