Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerboa

PLease help me find plant so I can appease wife

jerboa
13 years ago

It was a plant that symbolized our relationship I guess, it was purchased from ikea in 2005-6..... I cannot for the life of me, find it.

It was in a 1 gallon sized pot, maybe a bit smaller.

It had a very large bulb like base, covered with skin almost reminiscent of a cantelope, then it had a skinny stem which had large almost lily like green leaves....

It looked like a Dr. Seuss(ish) plant... most importantly, occasionally, it would sprout bright orange flowers, small ones, and just one or two....

it was a strong plant, an ive never been able to find it.,,

on a recent vacation I left the plant in the care of my father, who neglected it, and it died... please help if you can, thank you!!!!

Comments (16)

• dicot
    13 years ago

Amaryllis, maybe?

{{gwi:511499}}

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Think you might be talking about a Ponytail Palm (Beaucarnea recurvata), which is really not a palm at all, but part of the Beaucarnea family and native to Mexico. Does this photo match what you're thinking of?

{{gwi:511501}}

Patty S.

• bahia
    13 years ago

I think it is more likely that it was a hybrid Amaryllis bulb, which are often used for forced bloom during winter. I wouldn't exactly call the blooms small, and they only bloom once a year, but otherwise every part of your description fits this plant. They are usually easily available from a florist shop, places like Trader Joes often carries them, and they can also be ordered mail order from bulb companies.

• jerboa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Patty it looked similar to the palm picture you have posted....but only in the lower extremity.. above the weird bulb part it quickly tapered into a thin green stem, from which large lily like leaves came out of it...

so perhaps a hybrid like bahia is talking about?

Thank you so much everyone. I hope I can find it. I thought it was very common since I purchased it at IKEA, but have never seen it at any store or nursery since that time..

: (

• jerboa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

for clarification, it was not actually a bulb I dont think, but it looked like the picture above where the base is like a round bowl, with that strange skin...

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Oops, I agree, missed the flower. Must be some sort of Amaryllis.

Patty S.

• jerboa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

patty the base looked real similar to the little one you posted, it didnt look anything like the amaryllis onion like base/bulb..

the leaves looked like lily pads, like these:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511497}}

• Dick_Sonia
    13 years ago

Was this an indoor potted plant or a outdoor landscape plant?

I'm running through my mental inventory of plants that are common enough that you might find them at Ikea, but I'm not coming up with anything. Among the rare plant files, what you've mentioned so far makes me think of Stephania, but that hardly seems likely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stephania venosa

• jerboa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes! DIck sonia, very similar to the Stephania Venosa!!! Te leaves look almost identical,....the flowers do too...although the Stephania looks a tad more vine like?

This thing did not seem viny at all. It did have that big bulge at the base though, although it was not quite as tumor like as the ones in this picture:

Perhaps it's something related to the Stephania?

Thank you so much everyone , I feel I am getting closer to finding what it was.

Here is a link that might be useful: steph

• jerboa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think Dick got it. The pictures I linked were of the large 30-50 year old plant, so a young one would look smaller at the base..

Thank you DICK!!! I think that is the plant!!!!!!

• jerboa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

it is one of the plants in the family that Stephania belongs to!!!!

They have them all listed in this site... Thank you DICK SONIA!!! I HAVE FOUND THE PLANT!!!!!! I think its one of the other varieties of the Menispermaceae family!!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: family includes:

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I was taken by the title of your post, posted on valentines day. As an old married guy I would never use a term like "appease" when speaking of my wife, could cause problems. Much safer to use a term like "please". Al

• wcgypsy
    13 years ago

You betcha!

• Dick_Sonia
    13 years ago

Well, I'm dumbfounded...and a bit dubious. Ordinarily these plants are only found among collectors of caudiciforms who have avidly sought them out and are very aware of what they are. It doesn't seem likely that one would pick one up at a big-box store as an impulse purchase. It also doesn't seem likely that one could be killed through neglect. Are you sure the old one is dead? It may have just shed its top growth and gone into dormancy mode. Resurrecting new growth from the old caudex would most likely be easier than trying to source a new one. I don't think I've ever come across one for sale, other than websites of Chinese exporters.

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

Perhaps this rather rare (?) plant was being grown for another buyer and got mixed up in IKEA's greater order. I once acquired an experimental plant this way, and the growers were soooo happy to get it back.

• wanda
    13 years ago

How about Buddah Belly Plant, Jatropha podagrica

Here is a link that might be useful: Jatropha