Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soaht

Is it possible to get plants from Hawaii?

soaht
11 years ago

I want to get an air layer plant that will be freshly cut off from the mother tree when shipped with out any soil. Is it possible to get a plant that way or will it require a phyto-sanitary certificate regardless of the state of the plant being shipped?

Thank you for any input
-soaht

Comments (9)

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

certificate required

• soaht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your input, i've also email the usda to see if it's possible. Now it's the waiting game for their response.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

USDA doesn't have full control, but the state of CA sure does. Check the state website all the rules and laws are there.

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

I brought back some Plumaria 'sticks' a few years ago. I made sure each had a certificate attached and had no problems. These Plumaria were from a registered grower.

• soaht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks gobluedjm and westelle, I will also check the state site to get more info before trying to acquired them. I've recently got some lychee from Florida that were air layer the way I describe on my first post and they came fine with out any certificate, so that's why I wanted to see if I could possibly get some plant from Hawaii that way also.

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

You're lucky you didn't get caught bt the CA plant immigration police.

• soaht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually the plant were pre approved by Florida USDA and had their stamp on it. And the seller had sold to many CA resident before. But then again I'm still confuse because I also got an other plant from a private seller with soil in a pot from there to here fine. So me don't know???

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

FL law doesn't override CA law. FL stamp just certifies for FL. Just because the seller sold to CA people doesn't mean it was legal.
    We have the laws because of our agricultural business. The states economy relies on it and FL businesses and growers should respect that since they are in a similar situation.
    A private seller wouldn't care, they are in business to make money and sell plants.
    At the CA inspection stations at the border they will take most plants especially those in soil if noticed.
    Like I stated before, it's all on the CA website...read it.
    Ignorance of the law is no excuse and your excuse you don't know is completely unacceptable.

• soaht
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've read from the site and also got an email response already stating that if the material meets the CA plant requirements upon and after arrival, with full inspection and proper paper work then it's admissible. I forgot to mention that the first plant cuttings I got from Florida came with the stamp of approval and proper FL USDA paper work. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't give the stamp of approval for shipping something as important as a plant that might be potentially carrying foreign pest/diseases if the receiving state laws weren't met. I'm sure I didn't break any laws. And i'm no longer getting the plant from HI even though it's admissible but the proper paper work would cost more than plant it self 3x, there fore I already got my answer, but thank you for your in put.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner