Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmerkevin

Do I NEED a type B avocado? What to plant for year round harvest?

farmerkevin
10 years ago

I'm planting a mexicola, hass and lamb hass avocado. All type A's (?)

I would like avocados year round. So what else should I plant, that is a type B, that would give me year round avocados? I can get fuerte, bacon or zutano (sp?)

This is my first attempt at avocados. Well, second because my first hass died after a freeze.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (11)

• Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
    10 years ago

If you're having freeze issues and your hass are dying, you need to be careful. Look at pages like the one listed below for info on cold toleration of various varieties.

That said, forget the mexicola, bacon, zutano, etc. If you want to grow for flavor and year around production, stick with hass, lamb hass, gwen, jan boyce for A-type. For B-type, go with Sir Prize, Sharwil, fuerte.

Also, these trees get huge. Despite what most people say, you can prune heavily to keep the trees in really compact shapes. If you do that, then you can cover the trees during the worst cold snaps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado temps

• farmerkevin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Frost killed the first hass because I planted it late in the season. It didn't have enough time to come out of planting shock before winter hit.

I am on my phone and am having trouble going to that webpage.

I'm actually hoping that they get huge. I'm planting them a bit close to make a privacy wall. They'll be on a slope, so they should do well.

Never heard of sir prize. When does it ripen? My favorite nursery/fruit stand had a sir prize avocado the other day. The fruit, not tree lol. Looked interesting.

• gregbradley
    10 years ago

I'm concerned about Avocados anywhere that freezes every year.

Haas is Spring-Summer, Lamb Haas is behind 3 months, Reed is a month behind that. All those supposedly survive freezing or a degree or two less. Lamb Haas tends to be Alternate Bearing.

Sir Prize is ripe before Lamb Haas and Reed are "done" in late Fall and will supposedly take a couple degrees colder. Sir Prize tends to be Alternate Bearing. Usually fabulous but sometimes has strings in flesh that affect acceptance by buyers.

Sharwill is same season as Sir Prize. I don't have one and don't know hardiness.

10 years ago

Hey Greg,

Good info, but I've never heard that Lamb and Sir Prize are alternate bearing. The opposite, in fact. Are you growing these and have found them to be alternate?

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

Lots of people say the need for an A and a B is exagerrated. If you are growing commercially, OK, but as a backyard grower I wouldn't be too concerned.

I get very heavy crops on my Haas without a cross pollinator at least in the surrounding 4 neighbors' yards.

But bees forage up to 2 miles from home, and any given suburb in SoCal is gonna have several types of avocados.

• gregbradley
    10 years ago

I do grow each of those but mine are new.

I was collecting info when I was trying to figure out what Avos to plant to get ones with good flavor and year round supply. The information was collected by me from different sources and 3 friends that are commercial or semi-commercial growers.

I bought my trees from Clausen in Vista but don't see that info on their website. My friends are supplied by Maddock in Fallbrook but don't find that info on theirs either. It seems much of their sites are very different and the really nice chart of seasons on Maddock's is gone. I did save the PDF of their Citrus/Avo season chart.

10 years ago

Greg, great info! I love that graph, it really helps explain it.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I have a Fuerte for winter fruit and a Reed for summer fruit. In between we get a break lest we burn out on Avocados.

• tonywholden
    5 years ago

Fantastic avocado tree is the most coldhearted it’ll go down to 15° they can be found in Texas

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    5 years ago

If you have other Avocado tree's in the neighborhood..thats a big help.