Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which is messier: arbutus or fejoia?

Posted by mia1974 9b/ss15 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 15:26

I am slowly narrowing down different trees for our yard. We have a spot we would like a tree to go, but it might be a few feet away from a swimming pool when the canopy gets full grown.

One of the options the plant finder search from sunset recommended was fejoia.

Is it wishful thinking to put either an arbutus marina or a fejoia sellowiana? We have an arbutus out front and it doesn't seem to make too much of mess...a few strawberries here and there etc...it is such a beautiful tree, and would be my preference but it is a small tree right now...so maybe the lack of mess observation is inaccurate?

I have bambooo going closer to the pool and will not be planting any trees as close by as the bamboo is, but we still want an interesting tree for our backyard and we do have a pool cover.

Any opinions would be great!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which is messier: arbutus or fejoia?

The Feijoia drops a LOT of fruit - I have half a dozen, all planted in areas where I can just let it sit underneath on the mulch. I would not want one near a pool or over a patio or driveway. I have a friend across town who has the largest A.'Marina' I have ever seen planted next to her pool and she has never complained about it. I like the Feijoia very much but to my eye there is no comparison - the Arbutus 'Marina' makes a much more striking specimen. The bark alone is worth it!
Sara

o

Personally a palm would be a better choice by a pool..arbutus and fejoia both produce flowers..fruit..and leaves dropping..but atleast not all fejoia produce fruit and the ones that do are tasty

o

We have sago palms by our pool, and you can not imagine the junk that they shed into the pool! Expensive trees, and we live with them. Seedless somethings would be better in my opinion. Palms have a way of spreading their kind all through your yard in places you never thought they would.

Suzi

o

Palms are actually a great choice by a pool, just have to select the correct cultivar. Sagos are actually not palms, but in the Cycad family. I have a lovely Kentia palm (Howea forsteriana) that drapes over my pool, and it is tidy, provides some nice shade, does not drop anything, and does not spread like other types of palms, such as the pesky Mexican Fan palm (Washingtonia robusta) will do. Other palm options are Majesty, Triangle and Foxtail palms. I would pick a palm that does not drop a lot of seeds (like the Queen palm, although lovely, and I have many in my yard, none near my pool). Segos are nice but they have leaves that end in a pretty sharp point, so not so pleasant rubbing up against or bumping into one while walking around the pool in your swimsuit.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here