Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatcompostguy

San Francisco Victory Garden

thatcompostguy
11 years ago

Several years ago on the PBS show Victory Garden, they covered a Community garden that was being built in San Francisco near the capital building or somewhere like that. Lots of people involved. Looked nice when they finished, but it was brand new and everybody was excited about it then. What does it look like today?

Comments (6)

• sffog
    11 years ago

i think it's not there anymore. i was at the civic center a few months ago and there wasn't any sign of the garden.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

I still see reruns on PBS of segments featuring Copia here in the Napa Valley, but they closed about 5 years ago. Too bad because a great deal of money was donated to build it and get it up and running. A viable business can not survive without a realistic business plan, or government funding. Al

• sf_rhino
    11 years ago

I didn't see the show and don't know of any garden by the civic center; however not too far from there is the Hayes Valley Farm.

They re-routed the on/off ramp from our central freeway about ten years ago and this left an empty square block where the old off ramp was. That basically sat there unused (except by the homeless et al.) for several years. A few years ago some group took it over and turned it into a little community farm.

I've never been in there but it looks cool and is way nicer than it was before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hayes Valley Farm

• thatcompostguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the confusion. I should have looked it up before I posted. It's in front of the SF City Hall. They have a webpage and everything, but it hasn't changed since 2008. I kind of guessed it wasn't running any more. One of those "too good to be true" kind of things. Plus, the tubes of straw or whatever they are don't look durable and would have to be replaced every year. Money pit more than anything.

Thanks for the replies. It was just a curiosity.

Here is a link that might be useful: SF Victory Garden

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    11 years ago

Hi Chris -

This was for the slow food movement back then -- and plans included undoing the entire garden project from the start.
    Now, the front of city hall is mostly concrete with some trees -- and is often used for parades, watching the Giants, etc. We tend to build and dismantle there a lot, haha.

• thatcompostguy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahh... I don't think they mentioned that on the show. Seems like a lot of waste, then, just to get people excited about gardening. Hopefully it was all composted and donated somewhere useful when it was finished.

Thanks again for replying. I'll let it slide off the radar now. :-)