Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hwy395_gw

Looking for suggestions for evergreen privacy screen (Zone 10a)

Hwy395
12 years ago

Hi everyone, new member and new homeowner here who is looking to add some privacy to my back and front yard. I just moved in last month, and I can already tell that I have quite a bit of work to do in the backyard.

I have one wall that is lower than the others, and I'm debating whether to build the wall up or simply plant evergreen shrubs to about 8' and use that as a "living wall". The neighbors who live behind me have a really run-down looking house and are constantly hanging clothing on their back porch. They also have ladders on their roof. Very low-class, and it has become an eye-sore. I'd like to grow a hedge as high as possible to block the view of their house, which should increase my property value should I decide to sell somewhere down the line. I also live a couple blocks from a freeway soundwall, so a high hedge will hopefully reduce noise and pollution from the freeway.

I've looked into Emerald arborvitae, but I do not think they will grow well in my area (Zone 10a). These seem like the ideal evergreen, since they don't grow tall and they aren't that wide. I am looking for alternatives to this one. I read about the Oriental arborvitae, and so far, it's the top choice. It sounds like it grows much taller, but I don't mind doing maintenance on these as long as they do not grow super thick. I also saw one called coffeeberry.

I plan on planting these plants as close to the walls as possible, so an ideal plant would be one that doesn't push up the fence because of invasive roots, and hopefully one that doesn't shed very much (I don't want to litter my neighbors' yard).

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (12)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Hi hwy395, and welcome to Gardenweb. Congrats on your new home. Take a look at the link below to see if any of the plants listed appeal to you.

I have never seen either of these trees grown here in Socal- are you in Ridgecrest or Bishop, somewhere along 395? That might be a different story for these varieties of arborvitae.

All 8' tall hedges/privacy screens are labor intensive, I think. We need some shrubs that will actually stay 8' high in CA like they say they will! All of the ones I can think of grow taller. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ privacy screens

• Hwy395
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response. No, I don't live along the 395, I just really like that area. I live in So Cal.

I plan on going to a nursery this weekend to have a look around to see what they have.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Good idea. I do not recommend purchasing based on the opinions of nursery staff. Please return with your favorites (latin names help) and do a search to find out what the pros and cons are, or post here to get people's experiences with these shrubs. The tags lie. Well, they don't actually lie, but the eventual size of a shrub in Iowa or New Mexico doesn't apply in CA. Things get much bigger here.

Emerald Arborvitae grows to 30 feet and does not live long in SoCal. I have never seen them for sale. Golden Arborvitae is a great choice, but they are slow growing. I had two that were never ever watered and they stayed about seven feet tall. With water they would grow taller. I think they are beautiful, and they require no trimming at all.

I am currently growing Springtime Viburnum in a few spots to see how it does as a screen. I don't know how tall it can get in Socal, though. We'll see.

Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

How wide are we talking? The FAQ for this forum has a "narrow privacy screen" list of plants--did you look through that?

Here is a link that might be useful: blog post on narrow screening plants

• djfx
    12 years ago

Hello,

I just installed some Podocarpus and they look great. they are all around my neighborhood and make great screens. they are clean and can be trimmed to your preferred height and shape. in SoCal many are used as city trees because they are low maintenance and grow in many soils. The ones I bought were about $30 for a 7' plant. They can be as narrow as about 2ft and I have seen mature plants between 8-15ft tall.

I also have bamboo (Giant Timber)which is more thirsty and needs more preparation but is great for 3 story neighbors. :) If you get bamboo get a clumping variety and install a root barrier to train and to keep it's growing disciplined.

dj

• onederw
    12 years ago

When you have a list of possibilities, we will all weigh in once we know who the candidates are. You should know, however, that whatever privacy screen you choose will probably do wonders to hide clotheslines and roof ladders, but will do exactly nothing to lessen freeway noise.
    An effective sound berm must be solid--solid as in wall, not solid as in fence. Landscaping of any kind has no sound attenuating effect. Sadly, if the nearby freeway is elevated and higher than your roof line, even a solid wall isn't going to be that effective.

Kay

• fallfograin
    12 years ago

Pittosporum Screenmaster is lovely....I have one. The leaves are lacy and delicate looking and the plant is easy to prune. It grows very easily and is also drought resistant.

• Fascist_Nation
    12 years ago

I inherited an oleander hedge creating a privacy hedge for my front yard in Phoenix, AZ. Laughs at the sun. SUPERB privacy and acoustic barrier. I keep mine about six feet high, but can easily be grown to amazing thirty feet tall "walls" around here. I do get irrigation so I cannot speak to how often you must water it as I never do except for 18 irrigations a year, but the thick waxy coated leaves speak to a plant that conserves water.

Pretty red, pink or white flowers or combine them alternating throughout your hedge. Few pests. Birds like to duck in and out of them.

Downsides: Hard to get rid of if you change your mind. Need to be dug out 6 feet down. Whole plant poisonous. Generally don't eat it but since it tastes bad anyway not usually a problem. When cutting during maintenance the latex sap can irritate some people's skin. Occasionally, like once a year, I find a wasp's nest in them.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Oleanders are subject to a deathly blight here in SoCal- heartbreaking. I lost my 50 year old hedge to it. My sister-in-law just lost hers too. I would not plant oleander here until the problem is resolved.
    Renee

• susanwrites
    12 years ago

I haven't been around here for a while (been busy installing my own native garden) but I'd love to suggest a CA native, Mountain Mahogany as a possibility.

• watchnerd
    11 years ago

Pacific wax myrtle (myrica californica) is a versatile choice that needs little water once established, can be grown natural or shaped into a hedge, grows fast, can be brutally pruned, and provides habitat and food for native birds.