Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Murcott Mandarin (Florida Honey Tangerine)

Posted by yipla Northern CA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 16:06

Hi all,

I am looking to grow a Murcott Mandarin tree, which I think is also known as a Florida Honey Tangerine. I can't find this type of tree anywhere for sale in CA. Four Winds has it listed in their varieties but not in their online shop and they say they are not going to be restocking this variety.

I have had this variety back when I lived in NY and used it for juicing. It is incredibly juicy!! And the deep orange color is divine. The taste is great, too.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a tree to grow, or recommend something very similar... Color, juiciness and taste are my main concerns.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Murcott Mandarin (Florida Honey Tangerine)

Lowe's usually has a good selection of citrus, or if you are in the Sacramento area, Green Acres Nursery also has a good selection of citrus. Try calling them.

Carla in Sac

o

I'd rather have a Tango mandarine--derived from and tastes like a Murcott, but "seedless!"

o

Check you local Costco. I'm in LA and just picked a Murcott in my local Costco. Only $18 for a 5 foot tree. It was from Willits and Newcomb nursery (I believe they are in the Bakersfield).

Tony

o

yipla, if you can't find one at your local Costco, see if Monterey Bay Nursery is propagating the Murcott. If so, see what nurseries in your area order from Monterey Bay (they are a wholesale nursery, BUT if you live close by, you can drive over and buy direct.) If you can't find the Murcott, consider the Page mandarin. Also extremely juicy, dark orange and exceptionally flavored. My favorite mandarin for juicing.

And, Fascist Nation, the Murcott is not the same variety as the W. Murcott Afourer, which is what you're thinking of when you're referring to the Tango mandarin, which an irradiated W. Murcott Afourer and seedless. It, too, is a very delicious mandarin, but a completely different variety that the Murcott. Confusing to be sure, but here's a link to the Murcott from UC Riverside's Citrus Variety Collection. Then, look up the A. Mrcott Afourer and the Tango, and you'll see. :-)

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection: Murcott Mandarin

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 9:35

o

Second what Patty said. Found a tango recently in LA Osh for $20 from Four Winds. Very healthy plant. Osh has a good selection of citrus.

Tony

o

Starfinder -- which OSH in LA did you visit? Never seen a tango at OSH ever ... and I've been to quite a few OSHs. Any other interesting finds at that store? Certain OSHs seem to have more citrus varieties than others. For instance the one in Pasadena has a lot, and I've also had good experiences with the one in Fountain Valley. I think it depends a lot on the manager ordering the trees, if he's into citrus or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here