Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first time planting columbine

Posted by jen1262 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 16:55

New to planting/caring for columbine. Does anyone have tips, or recommendations? Can they take full or partial shade? I am in the Northern California Bay area. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first time planting columbine

For my SoCal location, morning sun & average water have worked best. Mine are from seed & all germinated early but those sown in the full sun quickly stunted & faded away. My soil is clay heavily amended with compost & leaf mold. They get sun until late morning & they are quite happy.

o

Here in Calistoga they do quite well in partial shade,have had them last for years. Particularly like Aquilegia caerulea, called Rocky Mountain Columbine, easily grown from seed. Al

o

They grow well for me in the Central San Joaquin Valley. Our soil, locally, is very sandy and drains quickly. I have both hybrid aquilegias and some that I grew from seeds of columbines that grow in the Sierra Nevadas (near Yosemite NP). Both do well here in full sun and in shade. The ones in full sun are more compact. I let them go dormant in the summer by cutting the irrigation water. As soon as the rains return in late fall and winter, they spring back to life bigger than the years before. As others mentioned, they do reseed readily.

o

I had purple and yellow aquilegias and for couple years and I just deadheaded before self seeding and they came back every year. Morning sun only until 11 am. Then they mixed and I got a very pretty very pale yellow with hint of light purple. I harvested those seeds that year and then nothing came back. This year I have started from seed indoors and have about 30 new little plantlets to put in ground in April.
By August they mostly die off in the heat and try to come back in Oct, but the cold in Dec forces into dormancy.
I had them in a small planter on NE side of house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here