Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

What's blooming now?

hosenemesis
12 years ago

Hi all,

Please post photos of what is blooming now in your garden. Jkom, can you repost the link to your garden here?

Here's a preview of my photos. Click on the link for more.

Renee

{{gwi:512977}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Blooming in late Feb

Comments (25)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So pretty, everything white, what a lovely way to welcome in Spring, Renee!! Here are a couple of photos I just snapped today, when I was down in my lower yard. First is my lovely Arctic Star Nectarine. This is its second year, so I'm hoping for a few fruits. It is such a pretty shade of pink, and it was just so covered in blossoms so early, I had to snap a photo of it:
    {{gwi:512980}}

And, here are my lovely Cantua Buxifolia 'Hot Pant's blooming for the first time. I was just so surprised to see them in bloom! They were also planted last year, and have really taken off. I was a little worried about planting them down in this area, as it's my cold spot, but I had hoped that being up against the crib wall would afford them a bit more warmth. That, and being sandwiched between the fountain and the wall, I think that they really like it where they are, as they are getting gigantic! The hummingbirds sure like them:
    {{gwi:512982}}

Patty S.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Here in the Valley of Heart's Delight, I have Asian plums and apricots in bloom, along with daffodils, spring starflower and Roman hyacinths. And oxalis, too, of course. The 'Blue Skies' lilac is heavily in bud, and a number of the earlier roses have small buds forming as well.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

patty and renee- these lovely photos of your spring gardens look so cool and refreshing!

i have a sweet little blue veronica ground cover blooming now but lost the tag- i think the jays must take them away because they just disappear.
    min

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    12 years ago

I'm not at all good at taking photos, but this is the best time of year for blooms in my low water garden:

Bird of Paradise
    Camellias
    Calla Lilies
    California Bluebells
    Clarkia bottae
    Camissonia cheiranthifolia
    Ceanothus
    Cuphea
    Daffodils
    Day Lily
    Euryops
    Freesia
    Hibiscus (just a few flowers)
    Kangaroo paw
    Mimulus bifidus
    Nolana
    Peach (Bonanza, dwarf)
    Pansies
    Primroses
    Ranunculus californicus (buttercups)
    Rosemary
    Schizanthus
    Tulips (chilled for 7 weeks then planted in January)
    Violas
    Wisteria
    Yesterday, today and tomorrow (just starting)

• jakkom
    12 years ago

hosenemesis, as you requested, here's a link to the Part 1 of my February Flowers photos in the Cottage Gardening Gallery. Those who are interested can find Part 2 somewhere in close proximity to it.

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Part 1: February Flowers, SF Bay Area/Oakland hills

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    12 years ago

Hmmm...Cantua 'Hot Pants' must just be very variable. That just looks like regular Cantua buxifolia to me. I'll be bummed if my 'Hot Pants' isn't more bi-colored. Or maybe it is just the photo.

Anyway my garden is brand new so not much blooming except what was already in bloom when I bought it. So right now that is a a regular Cantua, Grevillea rhyolitica, some Geranium 'Bill Wallis', Eschscholzia caespitosa, Geums, and Eryngiums.

12 years ago

clematis, these 3 trees were labeled 'Hot Pants'. And, for some reason, the tops didn't show up as orange as they are in person. And, this is their first bloom, so maybe they'll become more strongly bi-colored as the tree matures? I was surprised at how quickly they grew, though. And, my Grevillea are all in bloom out front, forgot about those.

Patty S.

• bahia
    12 years ago

For me, a lot of things blooming now are the usual suspects such as Hardenbergia violaceae, Jasminum polyathum, Acacias, Pittosporum undulatum, and various Aloes such as speciosa/castanea /capitata/arborescens, and Cymbidium orchids

Less common things blooming at the moment include some favorite bromeliads such as Billbergia vittata and B. sanderiana, Aehmea kertesziae, various Tillandsias,and the small flowering tree Dombeya burguessiae which is just covered in pale pink flowers similar to an apple or cherry tree. Also there's Iris confusa 'Chengdu', Justicia aurea, Mathiasella blupueroides, Ruellia macrantha, Veltheimia bracteata, Leucadendron 'Cloudbank Jinny', Gnydia polystachia, Cotyledon orbiculata v macrantha, Petrea volubilis, Bartlettina sordidum, Strelitzia juncea and Salvia
    iodantha, and various Abutilons. I've also got some Heliconias such as H. schiedeana, Mackya Bella, Odontonema callistachium and Justicia rizzinii blooming at the moment, along with some palms such h as Chamaedorea plumosa and C. costaricana which h are surprisingly showy and colorful in bloom.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You sure have a lot of interesting plants, Bahia. It's fun looking all of these February bloomers up on the web.
    Renee

• bahia
    12 years ago

It's frustrating not being able to edit posts on GW; some typos include Aechmea kertesziae, Mackaya Bella, Odontonema callistachya. There's actually a lot more blooming at the moment as well, more bromeliads such as Aechmea dealbata/fasciata/purpureorosea , Billbergia nutans, Tillandsia ampla, Ipheion uniflorum, Dianella ensifolia(but its the blue berries which are the real show), Aristea major, Calceolaria tomentosa, Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi', Kalanchoe carnea, Oxalis spiralis aura, Tibouchina organensis and T. urvilleana, Wachendorfia thyrsiflora, Chasmanthe floribunda v ducktii to name a few more. I like seeking out less common
    plants that bloom in winter into early spring so that there's always some color year round. Most all of these would also be on my Flickr photo sets if you do a search on Flickr.

If I were gardening in southern California, there would be even more things on the list.

• stanhopea
    12 years ago

Right now, it's mostly daffodils, hellebores, plums, peaches, and camellias. The ornamental cherries have finished, and most of the magnolias are done as well. Contrary to popular belief, you can grow tree peonies in Southern California. They are starting to bloom now too. Here's a (sideways) picture of the first one to bloom:

This is the first year this variety has bloomed for me. I have a white one that has bloomed regularly every year since planting (it's been 5 years I think).

• echolane
    12 years ago

I'll add to this list the Skimmia japonicas that have just started blooming in my garden. They and the two Daphne odoras that are also blooming are very fragrant.

Rhododendron President Roosevelt is just unfurling its colorful blooms and Rhododendron spinuliferun its understated ones.

Camellia Coral Delight is just finishing but is still very showy.

A couple of abutilons are contributing their pretty peach blossoms.

I planted a out 50 daffodils last fall and they have been spectacular for at least three weeks.

Several manzanitas are putting on a wonderful flower show.

And some primulas and viola's and cyclamen add to the color show here.

12 years ago

Thought I'd add a few more photos. I was so happy to see my beautiful 'Burgundy' Cymbidium orchids blooming finally, after two years in my garden:
    {{gwi:512988}}

{{gwi:512990}}

Here is a larger photo of this area. It is my side garden on the south side of my house, but all under the canopy of two very large Queen palms and a large stand of Golden bamboo:
    {{gwi:512993}}

And one of my fuschias is starting to bloom in this area:
    {{gwi:512997}}

{{gwi:513000}}

{{gwi:513002}}

And my pretty bougainvillea that arches over my side gate is in full display early, because we didn't get really cold temps this winter, so no recovery needed. You can see the Bronze fuschia, Polygala 'Alta Mariposa', an orange hibiscus and my Birds also in bloom (sorry for all the trash cans, we're ripping out the ugly Korea grass, and putting in some better behaved dwarf Mondo grass and decorative rocks that will be finished up today through Saturday finally). And, in the second photo of this area, if you look to the right, you can see some of my blueberries, also in bloom. they're in the hardware cloth cages due to the rats, rabbits and ground squirrels:

{{gwi:513005}}

{{gwi:513008}}

And a pretty little bromiliad of unknown variety has just sent up a little bloom stalk:

{{gwi:513010}}

All my stone fruits are starting to bloom, too. I'll snap some pics a little later. Yea, Spring is coming!!

Patty S.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The orchids are enchanting, but your bougainvillea is breathtaking. I love that side of your yard with the bird of paradise and the succulents and palms- it looks like San Diego! Paradise.
    Renee

12 years ago

Thanks, Renee! Yes, I'm just north of San Diego, and it sure does look "San Diego-esque", doesn't it? My bougainvilleas are breathtaking. I'll snap a pic of our other large one tomorrow and post it, plus my "Walk & Pick" orchard which is all in bloom now. It is pretty on the front side, near the barbeque, but from the back side, it is unbelieveable. Last winter it was frozen so badly, I thought we had lost it. Fortunately it was able to recover. I would have just been heartsick to lose such a lovely specimen.

Patty S.

• jakkom
    12 years ago

Patty,
    I am in awe of your beautiful bougainvillea. And orchids! And the Tibouchina urvilleana in bloom on the left!

My tibouchina had to be pruned back, and I may have lost it. Waiting to see if it will recover, sigh.

12 years ago

Thanks, jkom! My husband has really worked hard on this bougainvillea, so that it arches over our gate. It's doing this on it's own. There is no structural support, so we hope we can continue to allow it to arch like this. It is so pretty. Our really tall friends need to duck a wee bit, but it's worth it I think :-) It is probably 'San Diego Red' or 'Barbara Karst'. It is a deep magenta pink/red.

Here are some pics of our other very large bougainvillea in the back of the side yard, that cascades down to the lower yard level (you can see the Cantua buxifolia and Phlomis behind the fountain, as well as some pale yellow nasturtiums). It is most likely 'James Walker' as it is a combination of pink and orange, sort of hard to tell in my photos:
    {{gwi:513012}}

{{gwi:513014}}

{{gwi:513016}}

And I noticed on the way down to the lower yard, my lovely Scabiosa 'Fama Deep Blue' is now in bloom:
    {{gwi:513018}}

My 'Sweet Crisp' blueberries are going to really perform this year, too. I'm anxious to try this new to me variety. These are as big as marbles right now:
    {{gwi:77686}}

And here's a peek at the Walk & Pick orchard walk. I had noticed all the owl poop on the walk the other day, below the gate arbor. Well, met that owl face to face last night, as he swooped down the walk right in front of me. I about had a heart attack. He was completely silent, and pretty sure it was our Great Horned Owl, since he wasn't white (that I remember, I was sort of screaming at the time):
    {{gwi:513020}}

Golden Dorsett apple set:
    {{gwi:513022}}

Apples and some stone fruit (apricots, apriums):
    {{gwi:513025}}

The other side of the walk with pluots, plumcots, necaplums, necatrines, apricots, peaches (yup, that's Morning Glory on the fence. It is ONLY there because my husband is in love with the blue flowers, which cover the fence in a couple of months. Plus, there is passaflora on the fence, too, so I'm at both with a machete all year to keep it out of the fruit trees. At least I have a yard full of pollinators from it):
    {{gwi:513029}}

And a shot from the bottom, standing in front of the greenhouse looking upward to the arbor gate:
    {{gwi:513032}}

And lastly, my welcome sign in Scottish Gaelic. Translation: Hundred Thousand Welcomes (and a sad shot of the abandoned Valencia orange orchard):
    {{gwi:513035}}

Thanks for letting me share my little piece of heaven in N. San Diego county. I am always in awe of everyone else's garden, so you kind words really mean a lot to me :-)

Patty S.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow. I'm going to have to come back later when I have more time and I can really enjoy this, Patty.

Have you looked around for any owl pellets? You may be able to scavenge a rat skull from one.

Renee

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

these are breathtaking photos of your beeeautiful gardens! they make me want to move to san diego!

is that your abandoned orange orchard? think of all the critters who are living very happily in there right now! if it isn't yours, do you hope that it stays abandoned? i would. min

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful garden! Your Walk and Pick orchard has me changing my plants for my Ultimate Dream Garden - now instead of a separate orchard next to the veggy garden I think I will have a gently winding path flanked by fruit trees. Thank you for the inspiration!

Here are some photos of what is blooming up here in the North Bay, only one is from my house - the rest were taken at my Mother's house.

{{gwi:513039}}
    Daffofils and Muscari in my new streetscape garden.

{{gwi:513230}}
    I love this area in the spring, the wild plum, flowering quince, fragrant narcissus, and acacia make a beautiful sight.

{{gwi:513232}}
    More quince with a calla lily.

{{gwi:513234}}
    And last but not least Mom's beautiful camellia.

12 years ago

Renee, did you see the nemesis hose in a couple of my photos? It always finds a way to sneak into a photo, damned hose :-) I have little birdie hose protectors along the corner of the walkway, to protect my plants from the dreaded "hose drag". I'll have to snap a pic of them just for you, lol!! I haven't found any owl pellets, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for them. I'd but that rat's skull on a little stake, to remind the rest of the rats what happens if you venture into my yard :-)

Min, I sure wish that 80 acres was mine. Sadly, the owners are trying to sell it to a developer. I just go out there and pick the oranges.

Peachymomo, it's fun to do things a little out of the box. Your photos are lovely, I want to plant more daffodils on my property, especially out front for others to enjoy. And, your mom's camellia tree is outstanding! How gorgeous, I wish I had camaellias on my property. Something to add to my lower yard, no doubt.

Patty S.

• Central_Cali369
    12 years ago

What beautiful Bougainvilleas! My two Purple Bougainvilleas were zapped by this years' freeze :( Otherwise, they'd be loaded with blooms as well. This is what it looked like BEFORE the freeze. Not it's just a bunch of twigs

{{gwi:513236}}

12 years ago

So lovely. We really dodged the freeze bullet this year. Last year both those bougainvilleas were badly affected, and I was sure one was a goner. They really do come back, though. It will be lovely, again, in just a few months :-)

Patty S.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Peachymomo- I love those quinces. What a color. I hear they make great cut-flower arrangements, too. I love the way you laid your stone path.
    Renee

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

Renee - I love the quince too, when we cut them to bring inside the flowers continue to open but they don't have the intense color so we get a blend of bright and pale flowers, it's pretty cool.

And the stone path delights me every day. Before we put that garden in there was a straight path beaten into the dirt along the curb because we get people walking past all day, every day. So when we decided to put a garden in the question was do we make it so that people have to walk on the street or do we embrace the situation and just make the path more attractive and put flowers around it. Interestingly enough people walking by have two reactions, the moms walking their kids to and from the bus and people walking their dogs tend to use the path, while the homeless and the people from the halfway-house down the street usually avoid my path and walk on the street instead. The sociologist in me is fascinated ;oP