Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I remove plastic from elm tree stump after one year?

Posted by elvie z9CA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 18:59

Hi everyone. A year ago one of the two elm trees in my front yard was cut down. I covered it with plastic immediately and put wood chips on top of it to prevent it from resprouting.

How long do I need to leave the plastic on so it won't resprout? I did not use any stump killer at the time beacause the tree guy said it would damage the other living elm's roots.

I just planted an aloe ciliaris near it, climbing aloe, to grow over the mound, but I was thinking maybe I should remove the plastic and put soil on top and maybe some more offsets.

Or if if it won't resprout, I might uncover it and put a large pot on it.
Thanks for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I remove plastic from elm tree stump after one year?

I have never tried your system to kill tree roots, but I think I would wait until the normal spring awakening has passed to remove the cover. Al

o

Me too.

o

Covering with wood chips worked for me with a chinese elm stump that kept resprouting.

Some nitrogenous material will also help feed the bacteria that will break it down. Coffee grounds, kitchen compost and green yard waste, such as fresh grass cuttings, green leaves, etc.

You could also use animal manure or human urine.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 18:14

Which stump killer did the tree guy say would hurt the other trees roots? Stump remover is usually just potassium nitrate which is fertilizer. It basically feeds the bacteria that eats the wood. And from the research I've seen, glyphosate doesn't pass through root grafts.

o

For over 20 years I have killed the roots of remaining stumps by painting the cut surface,IMMEDIATELY, with full strength 41% roundup. Not all trees will regrow from a stump, or roots in the ground, so I use Roundup selectively. If I am asleep at the switch and miss a tree, I can still kill it by spraying the new growth with brush killer, but it will take usually three years to kill. Al

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 11:37

me too Al.

o

Never, ever send a dime to monsanto. It is arguably the most reckless corporation on earth.

Over 80% of supposedly heirloom corn is now contaminated with viral genes thanks to these creeps. GMO foods are demonstrated to cause tumors...

I could go on and on. Do not send them your money. There are a million ways to kill a tree stump.

o

Thanks for your responses everyone.

Yukkuri, did you have plastic underneath the woodchips, or just straight woodchips on the stump?

o

woodchips, compost & urine, no plastic, but plastic will help keep moisture in and light out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here