Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davissue_zone9

How to prune a 4 in 1 plum tree

davissue_zone9
18 years ago

After Joe Real's positive experiences with multiple-budded fruit trees, I bought a plum that is basicly a Beauty plum with Elephant Heart, Laroda and Late Santa Rose grafts. The Beauty far outstripped the others in vigor, although the Elephant Heart did well too. The Laroda and Late Santa Rosa are still small single branches. I need to prune it very soon since the weather is warming up fast, but I am at a loss what to do. My inclination is to chop back the Beauty severely, so the others have a chance to catch up, but I really don't know if it's the right thing to do. I know the basics of pruning a regular fruit tree, but this?!

{{gwi:513437}}

Comments (7)

• ashok_ncal
    18 years ago

Davissue,

I would suggest that you graft some of those "Laroda" and "Late Santa Rosa" shoots onto a few of those vigorous "Beauty" branches.

Asian plums graft *very* easily. A simple cleft-graft held together with just about any kind of tape (I often use electrical tape, although it does eventually have to be removed by hand) should have a nearly 100% chance of "taking".

By the way, the current situation of your tree does not surprise me: "Beauty" does seem to be a very vigorous plum. In addition, growth at the top of the tree will probably hormonally dominate lower growth (apical dominance). The other grafts probably should have been put on the top of the tree, rather than below the "Beauty" crown (it's a little hard to tell from your photograph, but that appears to be the structure of your tree).

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

I agree with ashok neal. About July I would take back the most vertical growth of the Beauty. When you do that, pick the strongest growing of the most vertical to take back. Al

• joereal
    18 years ago

Beauty is going to take over your tree if left untamed. Sue, you want me to come over and graft some more cultivars over the vigorous beauty branches?

I have still have scionwood for:
    Bavay Green Gage
    "Last of the Mohicans" Gage (was from a distraught owner who have to sell their house and the tree is being chopped down by the new owner, and he swears it is the best gage in the world there is)
    Red Heart Plum
    Coe's Golden Drop
    Inca Plum (Ashok recommended this to me last year)
    Golden Nectar (Ashok also recommended this to me last year)

I have many more, no time to check now as I am about to run errands (bring kids to school, work, plan for valentines, etc...)

• davissue_zone9
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Heh, heh, I was hoping you'd say something along those lines, Joe. I'd love a lesson on how to prune this type of tree, and I adore japanese plums of all kinds, if you're in the mood for grafting, I'd love to watch and learn that too. If you have plain Santa Rosa, that's my absolute favorite! Sue

• joereal
    18 years ago

I may have a problem pruning that kind of tree simply because I prune to add more varieties, LOL!

Well, I was about to snip off a big branch from my Santa Rosa, and I will do it when I am going over to graft. The Inca and Golden Nectar are Japanese heirloom plums. The Inca especially, no one's selling the stock anymore, but have great reviews from CRFG members and Andrew Mariani of Andy's Orchards.

I have other non-patent Japanese plums, will bring them along and see how many we can fit.

Saturday or Sunday PM if you're available. Now is the perfect time to graft.

• davissue_zone9
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Saturday would be fine, see you then! Anything you want me to supply- I can try to get the grafting supplies you need by then if you can tell me where to get them locally. Sue

• joereal
    18 years ago

I'm not aware of any stores within 60 mile radius of Davis seem to carry paraffin grafting tape so I will supply the grafting tape and sealant for you. I tried in vain for several years now, and budding knives are also rare. I can find the grafting sealant at OSH, also some aluminum labels, but zilch for the grafting tape. I tried the green floral tape from Ace Hardware at one time and it worked too. But this year, I bought a year's supply from the CRFG swap meet so no need to worry. But bring along a 70% Isopropyl alcohol (for sterilizing my budding knives, box cutter and pruning shears), cotton balls, a roll of paper towel, bottled water. We need also a small lightweight "operating table", you know, the geen plastic coffee table for the patio. You're a nurse so you know what I mean. We will literally have surgery, LOL!