Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying weed!

Posted by Derek597 20 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 19:23

Hi - The image below shows a plant that began growing on bare dirt patches in my yard shortly after we ripped the lawn out this past November. It has really begun growing in the last couple months. It seems to like the rainy conditions and doesn't mind the cold. We are in zone 20-ish just outside the San Fernando Valley part of Los Angeles. It is growing to about 2-3 inches deep and spreading. Any thoughts on what this is would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying weed!

I should specify Sunset Zone 20, USDA zone 10. Thanks again.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 22:17

My guess is scarlet pimpernel. Pull it out before it goes to seed.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 0:17

Yes scarlet pimpernel aka Anagallis arvensis.

There's a beautiful ornamental Anagallis of a different species, Anagallis monellii, aka Blue pimpernel. Much less vigorous, but prettier, and not weedy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anagallis arvensis

o

Thanks very much. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.

o

Scarlet pimpernel has orange flowers and it hard to get rid of, in fact, I don't know how it keeps coming back. I never let it make flowers.

o

• Posted by janea z9-Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 12:47

This plant produces the little round ball stickers which I'm continually pulling out of my dogs' coats. When I first moved here I thought the small salmon colored flowers were very pretty. Little did I know!

o

I'm going to have to hire a full time gardener to manage this run away train of scarlet pimpernel aka Anagallis arvensis. I spent two hours yesterday cutting and pulling them out and swear this morning I see some already sprouting up again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here