Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado Tree.. Healthy or not?

Posted by SeanPez 9 So Cal (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 19:27

Hi All,
I hope all your gardens are blooming and thriving! I am having some problems with my Jim Bacon avocado. It keeps drying up from the top, so i have had to keep cutting down. I wanted your opinion on the tree.. does it look healthy or should i exchange it and get another one?

All the best,
Sean

photo 20130224_161153_zpsa0ca7651.jpg

photo 20130224_161141_zpsefd9d6da.jpg

photo 20130224_161125_zpsb995f911.jpg

photo 20130224_161123_zps5f8e2b6c.jpg

photo 20130224_161106_zpsb28f1b3e.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado Tree.. Healthy or not?

It looks fine to me. Look at the branches. If they are not black or burned on the top the tree will do fine. Be sure to protect it from our hot summer sun since it does not have enough of a leaf canopy to provide its own shade. It will take a year or so for it to develop enough to tolerate full hot sun. You can use an umbrella or you can paint the tops of the branches with white latex paint.

Mulch heavily, at least four inches, don't disturb the roots, and give it plenty of water, but don't let water stand around it, especially if you have clay soil.

o

Likely to do better in the ground instead of in that pot.

o

Tree is probably fine.

Could some of the brown on the leaves may just be frost damage? Young trees are much more vulnerable to cold than established trees. My babies have browned leaves, while my big tree has none.

Is it budding out from any of the nodes?

Be mindful not to let the ties to the stake start to constrict the tree. I just got rid of the stake for a similar size tree.

And, yeah, transplanting to ground or at least a much bigger pot will do that plant a world of good.

This post was edited by yukkuri_kame on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 23:29

o

Friends, thank you so much for the replies! I will keep the tree!

I had initially planted this tree in the ground. I planted it infront of a concrete wall. Since the wall was radiating so much heat, the tree would burn so i had to take it out. I put it in a 15gal container now, and want it to grow a bit in there until it is big enough to go in the ground. It has definitely started to bud from the nodes, so i am happy about that! :)

It is a jim bacon variety! I Hope it is tasty!

o

If you're interested in diversifying and you're close to here, I'd be into maybe swapping a bud or two to graft. Then you get 2-in-1.

And I'd get Jim Bacon which is on my list to acquire.

We are just about at last frost date, which means avocado grafting time.

I'm in Tujunga/Sunland, foothills north side of los angeles.

o

Thank you all for the help!

@ yukkuri Kame, i sent you an email! I live very close by, in la crescenta.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 15:03

In my experience young Avocado trees all tend to look like crap after they've been out of the garden center a few weeks. Then they gradually establish, get their roots fully shaded the way they like them, and then look fabulous again. They are babies, so unless protected carefully they are vulnerable to too much heat, high pH irrigation, etc.. I put a 25% shade cloth over my baby 'Reed' last summer and it stayed good looking and unstressed through that really hot August and September we had.

o

The leaf edges look necrotic from the top to the bottom of the plant. On container grown plants this is usually a problem of salt buildup in the soil, or watering with water containing Boron or some other chemical. Frost damage would show up at the top of the plant. Al

o

Thank you all for all your input! Helped alot!

o

I just purchased a potted macadamia on Ebay, and it looks exactly like your avocado. It is going in-ground soon, and I'm pretty sure the advice given here applies!

La Crescenta. Wow! Grew up there! Childhood memories! Good luck with your avocados and grafting!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here