Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wisteria in orange/la counties

Posted by sf_rhino 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 19:33

I have a friend getting married in Diamond Bar down in LA and she is hoping to schedule it while the wisteria is in bloom. Can any of you SoCal folk recommend the best months? I'd guess it blooms around the same time as up here but one never knows.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wisteria in orange/la counties

Call the Huntington in San Marino to see if their early wisteria on the edge of the rose garden/ Japanese garden is in bloom. Descanso in La Canada has a pretty one in the rose garden but it blooms much later.

o

Is she looking to take pictures? The Huntington doesn't allow wedding photography but Descanso has a lovely space in the rose garden for weddings.

o

There is a huge--as in ginormous--wisteria in Sierra Madre (not too far from Diamond Bar). How big? So big that the Guinness Book of Records has classified it as the World's Largest Blossoming Plant. (Go figure.) The city has built a festival around what they call the Lavender Lady. Last year the festival was on March 25. This year it's on St. Patrick's Day, March 17, but it's always held sometime in the late middle/early end of March. (Link to further info on the festival is attached.)
I'd suggest that your friend might want to zero in on a date in mid to late March, but microclimate is important. It might be worth a call to a large a reputable nursery in Diamond Bar (not a big box store) and ask when their wisteria will be in bloom.
Kay

Here is a link that might be useful: Sierra Madre Wisteria Festival

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here