Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Playground material...where to buy best cost?

Posted by kairous1 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 19:37

I'm about to put together a playset for my kids. Have read about the different playground material...
pea gravel, wood mulch, and rubber mulch. these I think are my three options. was wondering if any place in LA, especially the San Gabriel Valley area, have any landscape supply dealers where I can purchase said above to reasonable prices.

any other suggestions on playground material would be welcome. I know they give away mulch from Bureau of Sanitation but I don't suppose that is wood mulch, right?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Playground material...where to buy best cost?

Hi, My grandkids constantly got splinters from the bark under their swingset. Rubber mulch has a reputation for being extremely hot in warm weather. Can't speak for pea gravel.

Wolfinbarger's in Chino has all sorts of landscape dirt, gravels, etc. They have it layed out in sections you can walk on to see if you like it or not. I don't work there, just buy my cactus soil supplies there. There's a link below.

Here's my solution for under the kid's swings. I found a chunk of fake grass on the curb. It had a sign with my name on it. My name is spelled F R E E, lol. People throw it away because it gets too hot to walk on. I found 5 used restaurant rubber grease mats in a dumpster, and didn't have a clue what to do with either when I drug them home. One of the mats is below the gate in the photo. I removed the bark from under the swings, put 2 of the mats down for padding, and laid the fake grass over them. The grass is held down with garden staples. The best thing about this is that the grass doesn't get hot above the mats. It's been there for more than a year with no problems. I mostly hang around on the Garden Junk forum, so always look for stuff to use in the yard. These mats may be available used at restaurant supply stores. There are a few of them in Colton. Don't forget Craigslist, Freecycle, etc. Tell everyone you know what you're looking for. Sometimes it will show up on your porch. I'm also in the SGV, near Pomona. Hope this gives you some ideas. Linda

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Wolfinbarger

o

Hi:
Thanks for the suggestions, that's a good idea. I have a large area so I'm trying to think of the best cost to lay down before I put the play ground up.

Thanks for the idea, I'm going to have to consider your idea.
Jeff

o

Linda those are some gorgeous gates.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here